Thread poster: Matthew Holway
Matthew Holway
Matthew Holway  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:53
Italian to English
+ ...
May 11, 2007

I would be interesed to know how the rest of the trANSLATORS GO ABOUT GETTING PAID

a) payment methods (paypal, bank transfer, post cheques.. etc)

b) Terms (ways of getting paid!) of payment. Does anyone ask for the money up front?

which is best?/accepted by clients?

Regards. Matt Holway...
See more
I would be interesed to know how the rest of the trANSLATORS GO ABOUT GETTING PAID

a) payment methods (paypal, bank transfer, post cheques.. etc)

b) Terms (ways of getting paid!) of payment. Does anyone ask for the money up front?

which is best?/accepted by clients?

Regards. Matt Holway

www.sicilyenglish.org

[Edited at 2007-05-12 14:52]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
my 2c May 13, 2007

first of all: do a good job. Take care of the quality, keep the deadlines. Send the invoice right away with the goods you are delivering. Remind the agency a minute after the 30 days (or whatever) are past - and include the invoice and the relevant post/codes/project numbers with it. In other words, act in a predictable fashion.

The rest, i.e. how the other side acts, is all in the stars. If you do not get paid (on time or at all) does not depend on what bank they would be using, paypal, moneybookers, Western Union, Pony Express, it makes no difference. By the way, asking for long pay periods up front shows a certain amount of honesty, so I would not deduct any points, when deliberating whether to accept or reject a job. Make sure, when they are overdue, you dont get passed around - there's one person standing in for the agency who should take care of the payments. Stick it on him/her.

This is not much, I admit; because a lot of it is simply Trust with capital T. And it works, in my case in 95+ % of cases. If you get a lemon, well, view it as an education fee... I did for one - see

http://www.proz.com/doc/561

Regards

[Edited at 2007-05-13 11:54]

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
agree May 13, 2007

I agree with Vito. I´ve noticed when you are willing to accept some longer terms, you might have to remind once or twice, but eventually they pay. It takes a little patience and a little bit of your time (& organisation) but it pays off.

Personally I do not accept cheques, because of the fraud potential. For the rest I offer as many ways of payment as possible, in order to facilitate their business.

Matthew Holway
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
check up/payment May 13, 2007

Ok, thanks for your honest feedback guys.

Matt Holway ( www.sicilyenglish.org)
IT, SP, FR into EN

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 14:53
Italian to English
My personal method May 13, 2007

I know the method I'm about to mention will stir up a few hullaballoos, but it's the only sure method of getting paid especially after quite a few clients (including medium/big companies with status) never showed up with the money.
It's quite simple, logical and mathematical.
50% down payment and 50% at consignment of work (post-work revision, corrections, etc. included in the final price of course). Most of you might think that many clients will not accept such a deal and that it's
... See more
I know the method I'm about to mention will stir up a few hullaballoos, but it's the only sure method of getting paid especially after quite a few clients (including medium/big companies with status) never showed up with the money.
It's quite simple, logical and mathematical.
50% down payment and 50% at consignment of work (post-work revision, corrections, etc. included in the final price of course). Most of you might think that many clients will not accept such a deal and that it's unprofessional, but I assure you that once you are well-known in the business, always do a good job and the clients feel 'safe' with you, they won't object to this method of payment.

Robert
Collapse

Matthew Holway
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sure - "IF" they know u / u know them.. May 14, 2007

[will not accept such a deal and that it's unprofessional, but I assure you that once you are well-known in the business, always do a good job and the clients feel 'safe' with you,

It's a valid point Lingomania,
and I think it's an acceptable way of getting round the conundrum with customers that know you - where there is already a reciprocal consideration set in place, but the issue I have is dealing with "fresh" clients..... See more
[will not accept such a deal and that it's unprofessional, but I assure you that once you are well-known in the business, always do a good job and the clients feel 'safe' with you,

It's a valid point Lingomania,
and I think it's an acceptable way of getting round the conundrum with customers that know you - where there is already a reciprocal consideration set in place, but the issue I have is dealing with "fresh" clients..
Matthew: www.sicilyenglish.org
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best methods to ensure payment!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »