Mohammad Reza Razaghi  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 23:13
Member (2006)
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
May 13, 2007

Hi all,

I did a proofreading job of approx. 60000 words along with TM updating for one of my clients. When done, they are saying that only 28000 words are "no match" and the rest are repetitions, so the final amount would be considered as about half of the total word count.
At the beginning, they did not mention such a calculation rule and we only agreed upon the rate per source word.

Is it common (or even rational) to calculate proofreading jobs based on “no match” word count (especially when not discussed at the beginning of the job)? Not to mention, I have read, corrected and reviewed the WHOLE document, not solely the “no match” words! Naturally, there were several situations that errors should have been rectified in all “repeated” sections.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Mohammad Reza

Direct link Reply with quote

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Per hour rate.. May 13, 2007

TM & fuzzy matches rates refer only to translation. For proofreading you either apply your per hour rate or charge 50% of your per word rate for translation. whichever is bettter for you.

BTW, the text after TM should be "cleaned" by the agency otherwise it is a disaster to work with.

Good luck!

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:43
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I prefer per word rate May 13, 2007

sokolniki wrote:

TM & fuzzy matches rates refer only to translation. For proofreading you either apply your per hour rate or charge 50% of your per word rate for translation. whichever is bettter for you.

BTW, the text after TM should be "cleaned" by the agency otherwise it is a disaster to work with.

Good luck!

But I absolutely agree with sokolniki.

Another good idea is to ask for a sample before accepting the job. You may find yourself translating for your proofing rate

I was one asked to proofread a text with Trados (¿?). The client told me I was not supposed to change anything in 100% matches unless there were spelling mistakes. In that case, I charged the full proofing rate for 100% matches, otherwise I would not even bother to read them. In the end, it was a "regular" proofreading job... Some clients do not have a clue about what our job is about

If nothing had been set beforehand, I would charge for the whole amount of words.

TM updating is to be done by client, unless they pay you for that job.

Good luck, Mohammad!

Have a great Sunday

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading and fuzzy matches?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs