German/Spanish in the U.S. - rates?
Thread poster: Christiane Hinsch (X)
Christiane Hinsch (X)
Christiane Hinsch (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:43
English to German
May 13, 2007

I am just getting started as a freelancer in the U.S. My native language is German, second language is Spanish. I am clueless regarding rates per word/page/flat rate. How much can I charge as a beginner? And what are the "usual" rates? My expertise is general conversation / tourism - travel / computers.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:43
English to German
+ ...
Rate calculator May 14, 2007

Hi "Ch",
Have you looked at the ProZ.com rate calculator? The tool is admittedly simplistic, but useful to get an idea.

Best regards,
Ralf

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
German to English
+ ...
US or foreign clients? May 14, 2007

It also depends whether you will be working for US or German/other non-US clients. In the US, the standard count is by word, while in Germany it is by line.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German/Spanish in the U.S. - rates?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »