Mobile menu

Rates for help with pronunciation/intonation?
Thread poster: Yasmin
Yasmin
Local time: 22:52
German to English
+ ...
May 23, 2007

I was recently approached by a potential new client wanting his Website to be translated from German into English, peu à peu. He has my line rates and said he would be in touch. Today he has requested an hour of my time to help him read through a poem and correct his pronunciation and intonation, and I have no idea what to charge him as I don't work with hourly rates!

Can anybody give me some guidance here? It won't be proper voice-coaching on a regular basis, but presumably a one-off session to help him prepare for a presentation or speech. Oh, and bearing in mind that this could be a potential client for future translation work!

[Edited at 2007-05-23 14:28]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
What do you like to make? May 23, 2007

Just come up with an hourly rate and charge him that. You need to define one sooner or later anyway.

You should have some idea of what you like to make in terms of what the market will bear.

xxxJenns
English to French
+ ...
Rates May 23, 2007

Personally I prefer hourly rates, especially when it comes to proofreading.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
First hour free May 23, 2007

Yasmin wrote:

I was recently approached by a potential new client wanting his Website to be translated from German into English, peu à peu. He has my line rates and said he would be in touch. Today he has requested an hour of my time to help him read through a poem and correct his pronunciation and intonation, and I have no idea what to charge him as I don't work with hourly rates!

Can anybody give me some guidance here? It won't be proper voice-coaching on a regular basis, but presumably a one-off session to help him prepare for a presentation or speech. Oh, and bearing in mind that this could be a potential client for future translation work!

[Edited at 2007-05-23 14:28]

Bearing that in mind, I would not charge the client, unless it runs into more than 1 hour. I don't know if there is a big difference between rates in North America and Europe, but here, an hourly rate of USD $25-30 is about average.

Yasmin
Local time: 22:52
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A nice gesture to impress! May 24, 2007

Thank you, Tina! I went with your idea in the end.

It didn't feel right charging him the hourly rate for proofreading etc. particularly since there wasn't much work involved. It was a chance to get to know the man, and for him to get to know me. Apart from that, it was also quite good fun!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for help with pronunciation/intonation?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs