Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:21
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 29, 2007

Dear all,

a new client asked a quotation for the translation of a brochure. I gave my word/rate, but he is asking more detailed information and wants an overall initial total amount.

Unfortunately the brochure is an image and I can't convert it to word being thus unable to offer a gross total quotation on the job.

How do I behave? I stick to my already stated word/rate? I prefer not to confirm a gross quotation on a document for which I can't produce a precise word count.

Thanks for your kind advice

Valeria

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxDavid Le Cou  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:21
German to English
Word count May 29, 2007

If you are really keen on getting the job, then there is nothing but for it to manually count the words in the original. A short cut would be to count a representative page and make a guess at the total.

Alternatively translate a section against the clock and give a quote based on your time.

David Le Count

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:21
English to Latvian
rate per target word May 29, 2007

It's another option, though it is not convenient for your client because the total price can be calculated only after finishing the job.
However, it is fair to you

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
What image? May 29, 2007

You can scan the image (JPG?) document using an OCR program (Abbyy FineReader, Omnipage etc.). You don't need to worry about accuracy of the scan - all you need is to convert the text in the image to get the number of words.

If the brochure is a PDF file, you can (if possible - depending on how the PDF was made) use Adobe Reader to "save document as text". Again, you will lose all formatting etc. but you will get a fairly accurate word count using MS Word or other software.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Be more efficient! May 29, 2007

David Le Count wrote:

If you are really keen on getting the job, then there is nothing but for it to manually count the words in the original.

Surely there are lots of other more efficient ways to convert text in an image to Word!

Abbyy FineReader is just one of the many OCR programs that accept image files as input. Other low budget/shareware OCR accept PDF as input, so you could do a two step conversion if you have Acrobat or other software that can output to PDF.

Of course, it all depends on the quality of your source image...

The bottom line is: I never ever ever sit and count words by hand, that was last century's technology!
These days, there is plenty of cheap software that does the job for you, faster and more precise!

Make a search here on the forum for Abbyy, you'll find lots of recommendations.

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-05-29 10:24]

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Client should send file in editable/countable format May 29, 2007

lopster wrote:
Unfortunately the brochure is an image and I can't convert it to word being thus unable to offer a gross total quotation on the job.

Why not ask the client to send you the source file in a readily editable/countable format? Could spare you (and the client!) a lot of hassle as you'd be able to come up with a straightforward quote...

Steffen

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
your quotation + about 30% May 29, 2007

Hi! Under normal circumstances I would say Steffen´s approach is the best. But many outsourcers are either lazy to convert into an editable text file or too busy to do that running after the next customer. Eitherway you would have to convert the picture file either into a .pdf and reconvert using ocr programs. Eventually you may have to edit the illegible ocr ed file. So you have this extra work to calculate, while editing I would quote per newly typed word in the text calculate about €0.02 or so some figure which a normal professional typist would calculate, and make it a point that you have revised your quotation with due arguments. Brandis

Valeria Ricciardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved May 29, 2007

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your useful replies. I tried to convert it using Abbyy Fine Reader and I succeded, though the word file wasn't perfectly rendered.

I agree with Brandis' point of view of adding some 30% to the original price. I normally charge an extra fee for non editable documents, but this is a new client and I have already applied a higher rate for the type of job he is asking.

Anyway, it seems to me that I have solved my problem!

Thanks everyone!!!

Valeria

Mutarjim97
United States
Local time: 19:21
French to Arabic
+ ...
Free trial word count software May 29, 2007

For future reference, you can always use trial versions of word count softwares, such as practicount, to get it done. The application is usable with images as well as text files. To be on the safe side always indicate that it is a estimated word count and ask if the client uses target or source language count for billing purposes, especially if it is not Roman characters.
Good luck

Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Why complicating... May 30, 2007

If you have a scanner, print the image out scan it as OCR
and count the words, It takes just a minute!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to quote on an Image document

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs