Salaries for in-house translators in Germany
Thread poster: Ana Paula Sabella
Ana Paula Sabella  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 30, 2007

Hi everybody:

I have been looking everywhere for information regarding salaries for in-house translators in Germany (also here i proz). I have found some info but I am not sure if it would apply in my personal case.

I have two interviews in the coming week and I have no idea how much I should ask! I have two degrees (eng-spa and ger-spa) and 7 years experience in eng-spa and 2 years experience in ger-spa.

One of the positions is in a medium-size company as Project Manager; the other in a huge multinational as deu-eng translator and language trainer.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Ana Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Try this link May 31, 2007

http://personalmarkt.focus.de/ga.person.jsp

Here's another one:
!Als Fremdsprachenkorrespondent kann man laut Kienbaum auf ein Jahresgehalt von 40.000 Euro pro Jahr verdienen."

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/app/jobkarriere/gehaltstest/index.html?action=detail&detail=gehalt&id=100&searchAction=abisz

For more info, google for gehalt + fremdsprachenkorrespondentin (which is similat to in-house translation)

[Edited at 2007-05-31 16:53]

mattsmith
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
German to English
+ ...
With your experience, at least EUR 3000 / month Jun 1, 2007

Hi Ana,

It all depends where you work.

With your experience you should expect 3,000 EUR a month as a minimum.

If you're going to be working in one of the wealthier German cities like Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt then 3,500 would be the bare minimum with 7 years experience.

I was recently told that Siemens (Munich) pay their senior translators 5,000 EUR a month.

Hope this helps!

Johanne
English to German
+ ...
Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin Jun 1, 2007

Hi,
I do not think that a Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin is the same as an in-house translator, in that they do not necessarily always translate and usually do not have a university degree (unlike many translators). Unfortunately, though, wages are often the same.
You may want to ask at BDÜ or ADÜ-Nord, I think one of them (professional associations) should know.

HTH
Johanne

Ana Paula Sabella  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unbelievable Jun 2, 2007

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

I totally agree with Johanne that a Certified Translator (Diplom-Übersetzer) cannot be compared to a Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin (no offense). In order to get my degree as Certified Translator, I had to study 5 years at university and in addition to the language and translation classes, I also had to take half of the law courses that attorneys take to obtain their degree.

I had one of the job interviews yesterday and I was offered a gross salary of 2.200 Euro per month (12 months). I couldn´t believe it!!! The company justified its offer by saying that I would be new in their company. So what? Is it that 6 years as freelancer and a year and a half as in-house translator do not count at all as experience for some companies? Of course I said no to this shameful offer, but I am really very disappointed.

Thanks again,
Ana Paula

[Edited at 2007-06-02 11:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salaries for in-house translators in Germany

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs