Thread poster: Ana Paula Sabella (X)
Ana Paula Sabella (X)
Ana Paula Sabella (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 30, 2007

Hi everybody:

I have been looking everywhere for information regarding salaries for in-house translators in Germany (also here i proz). I have found some info but I am not sure if it would apply in my personal case.

I have two interviews in the coming week and I have no idea how much I should ask! I have two degrees (eng-spa and ger-spa) and 7 years experience in eng-spa and 2 years experience in ger-spa.
... See more
Hi everybody:

I have been looking everywhere for information regarding salaries for in-house translators in Germany (also here i proz). I have found some info but I am not sure if it would apply in my personal case.

I have two interviews in the coming week and I have no idea how much I should ask! I have two degrees (eng-spa and ger-spa) and 7 years experience in eng-spa and 2 years experience in ger-spa.

One of the positions is in a medium-size company as Project Manager; the other in a huge multinational as deu-eng translator and language trainer.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Ana Paula
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try this link May 31, 2007

http://personalmarkt.focus.de/ga.person.jsp

Here's another one:
!Als Fremdsprachenkorrespondent kann man laut Kienbaum auf ein Jahresgehalt von 40.000 Euro pro Jahr verdi
... See more
http://personalmarkt.focus.de/ga.person.jsp

Here's another one:
!Als Fremdsprachenkorrespondent kann man laut Kienbaum auf ein Jahresgehalt von 40.000 Euro pro Jahr verdienen."

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/app/jobkarriere/gehaltstest/index.html?action=detail&detail=gehalt&id=100&searchAction=abisz

For more info, google for gehalt + fremdsprachenkorrespondentin (which is similat to in-house translation)

[Edited at 2007-05-31 16:53]
Collapse

mattsmith
mattsmith
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
German to English
+ ...
With your experience, at least EUR 3000 / month Jun 1, 2007

Hi Ana,

It all depends where you work.

With your experience you should expect 3,000 EUR a month as a minimum.

If you're going to be working in one of the wealthier German cities like Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt then 3,500 would be the bare minimum with 7 years experience.

I was recently told that Siemens (Munich) pay their senior translators 5,000 EUR a month.

Hope this helps!

Johanne
Johanne
English to German
+ ...
Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin Jun 1, 2007

Hi,
I do not think that a Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin is the same as an in-house translator, in that they do not necessarily always translate and usually do not have a university degree (unlike many translators). Unfortunately, though, wages are often the same.
You may want to ask at BDÜ or ADÜ-Nord, I think one of them (professional associations) should know.

HTH
Johanne

Ana Paula Sabella (X)
Ana Paula Sabella (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unbelievable Jun 2, 2007

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

I totally agree with Johanne that a Certified Translator (Diplom-Übersetzer) cannot be compared to a Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin (no offense). In order to get my degree as Certified Translator, I had to study 5 years at university and in addition to the language and translation classes, I also had to take half of the law courses that attorneys take to obtain their degree.

I had one of the job interviews yesterday
... See more
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

I totally agree with Johanne that a Certified Translator (Diplom-Übersetzer) cannot be compared to a Fremdsprachenkorrespondentin (no offense). In order to get my degree as Certified Translator, I had to study 5 years at university and in addition to the language and translation classes, I also had to take half of the law courses that attorneys take to obtain their degree.

I had one of the job interviews yesterday and I was offered a gross salary of 2.200 Euro per month (12 months). I couldn´t believe it!!! The company justified its offer by saying that I would be new in their company. So what? Is it that 6 years as freelancer and a year and a half as in-house translator do not count at all as experience for some companies? Of course I said no to this shameful offer, but I am really very disappointed.

Thanks again,
Ana Paula

[Edited at 2007-06-02 11:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salaries for in-house translators in Germany

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »