Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:25
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
May 31, 2007

Dear all,

I received a PO from a new client with the total amount + VAT amount (MwSt). My question is: As I don't have a VAT number, should I send the client an invoice of total amount plus VAT amount? OR should I send him/her only the total amount?

Thanks in advance

Ahmad

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-01 09:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you VAT-registered? May 31, 2007

Hi Ahmad,
I would recommend that you consult your tax advisor and/or the tax authorities.

Are you registered for VAT, or have you opted for the Kleinunternehmerregelung under section 19 of the German VAT Act?

Best regards,
Ralf

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
UK May 31, 2007

I don't know about Germany, but in the UK you're only required to register for VAT when your annual income exceeds a certain amount. Last I heard it was £50,000 (which is much higher than I can ever hope to earn). I'm sure there must be such a threshold in Germany too.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search the forum May 31, 2007

Hi Ahmed and all,

This has been discussed before. See:
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/traders/vat_community/vat_in_EC_annexI.pdf

The threshold for Germany is €12 500...
If you don't have a VAT number then you're not registered, so you can't charge the customer VAT.
(Those who charge VAT are obliged to either forward the money to the taxman, or deduct it against outgoing VAT expenses, so you can't keep the excess VAT either way).

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-05-31 09:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MwSt (VAT): Should I ask for it?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs