Thread poster: Ahmad Hassaballa

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:10
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
May 31, 2007

Dear all,

I received a PO from a new client with the total amount + VAT amount (MwSt). My question is: As I don't have a VAT number, should I send the client an invoice of total amount plus VAT amount? OR should I send him/her only the total amount?

Thanks in advance

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-01 09:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Are you VAT-registered? May 31, 2007

Hi Ahmad,
I would recommend that you consult your tax advisor and/or the tax authorities.

Are you registered for VAT, or have you opted for the Kleinunternehmerregelung under section 19 of the German VAT Act?

Best regards,

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
UK May 31, 2007

I don't know about Germany, but in the UK you're only required to register for VAT when your annual income exceeds a certain amount. Last I heard it was £50,000 (which is much higher than I can ever hope to earn). I'm sure there must be such a threshold in Germany too.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search the forum May 31, 2007

Hi Ahmed and all,

This has been discussed before. See:

The threshold for Germany is €12 500...
If you don't have a VAT number then you're not registered, so you can't charge the customer VAT.
(Those who charge VAT are obliged to either forward the money to the taxman, or deduct it against outgoing VAT expenses, so you can't keep the excess VAT either way).

[Edited at 2007-05-31 09:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MwSt (VAT): Should I ask for it?

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs