Mobile menu

My rates for technical translation
Thread poster: tkanda
tkanda
Japanese to English
Jan 7, 2003

I am charging at least 10 cents a word for any technical translation from Japanese to English. I have PhD in Biomedical Engineering and Master in Biochemistry. From English to Japanese, I would even charge more like 12 cents. I get most of my jobs from publishers or Universities.

I look at the posts that are offering 2 cents a word for a technical translation on this board. I hope such translation doesn\'t require any special knowledge.

You really need to be smart and be more forthcoming with how much one should charge for translation. I know you are secretive and very circum-eloquent about how much you are actually earning, but being more forthcoming can only help this profession not hurt the profession.

My two cents.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcela García  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jan 7, 2003

I agree with you and it does not only apply to technical translations but to translations in general.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My rates for technical translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs