Mobile menu

How to charge when translating in Passolo
Thread poster: Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 22:34
English to French
+ ...
Jun 6, 2007

How would you charge if the customer request you translate the project he prepared in Passolo (Free translator edition) and provide a Trados TM as well.

Would you just apply your standard per word rate? or apply a fee for having to use Passolo?

[Edited at 2007-06-06 19:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dinny  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Standard, I guess Jun 6, 2007

It has happened to me and I just pretended my normal rate. Although at first it seemed inconvenient to have to use an unknown programme I figured that any new knowledge would go "right in the bank", might come handy another time.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
Member (2003)
German to English
Charging Passolo jobs Jun 12, 2007

My approach to such things is usually to charge my standard rate; if the tool is unfamiliar, I'm usually willing to invest a little extra time in learning. However, I would avoid a large job with an unfamiliar tool.

That said, I do apply surcharges for tools which have proved to be particularly inefficient despite many hours of practise. I find that work goes very slowly with Star Transit (in any edition) compared with Trados or Déjà Vu, so I charge accordingly or turn down the job.

As a Passolo user myself, though, I think you may have a good experience. It's pretty user-friendly compared with other localization tools, and I have yet to feel great stress working with it. My only complaint about Passolo jobs is that I don't find enough of them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge when translating in Passolo

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs