Huge Editing Project: Need advice
Thread poster: thevettergroup
thevettergroup
thevettergroup
Local time: 09:00
English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2007

Involves checking 80,000+ names of places and streets. No translation is involved. I thought to charge a proofreading price per word, but I don't think that is really going to cut it, since each name needs to be checked for accuracy (whether the name is indeed the actual name used or not). So it is more than just scanning text, but researching where needed that the names are correct.

How should I price this? Per word? Or, per hour? Also, how much would you charge?

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Maybe an hourly rate Jun 15, 2007

I anticipate this will be a tedious job. It takes far more time to check every word than simply to translate. Be sure to work on a sample before you quote. I guess you can try 100 words and see how long it takes to finish. You can then work out the hours needed for the entire job.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Per word, maybe a little discharge; preferably per hour. Jun 15, 2007

I once did something like this as part of a bigger document; they were the locations of all offices around the world of a big international company. It's tedious and takes as much time as translating. You may know some of the names, others you'll have to find on a map or on the Internet, which takes time.

Try to do this while you're in a good mood. Fantasizing a trip along all these names and places helped me to get the work done more pleasantly. Maybe 90% of your usual per word rat
... See more
I once did something like this as part of a bigger document; they were the locations of all offices around the world of a big international company. It's tedious and takes as much time as translating. You may know some of the names, others you'll have to find on a map or on the Internet, which takes time.

Try to do this while you're in a good mood. Fantasizing a trip along all these names and places helped me to get the work done more pleasantly. Maybe 90% of your usual per word rate would be good. Otherwise, I'd recommend charging by the hour. How much? Can't say, depends on your situation.

Good luck!
Margreet
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 08:00
English to Russian
+ ...
A simple math Jun 15, 2007

80 000 units - 1 (say one:-)) minute per each - 80 000 minutes - 1333 hours - 166 work days. Show it to the client for starters and see what you can agree on.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:00
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per hour, and be careful about deals... Jun 15, 2007

I just would like to add a detail to IreneN comment:

Cite: "Show it to the client for starters and see what you can agree on"

... but don't forget that you most probably will spend those 166 work days on the job, so that, when you try to get a deal, keep in mind that you need to cover all your earnings during that time!! (7.5 work - months)

Best luck.

Ruth @ MW

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge Editing Project: Need advice

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »