Translation rates forecasting
Thread poster: Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
Jun 20, 2007

I need to forecast translation costs for our next project.
Project is finance related and localized in the main europeans languages but I'd rather not go into the specifics since I am not looking for applications at this time and also because the project won't start before quite a while.

It will be posted in the Jobs section in due time.

Translation will be done using our existing TM, I was thinking of forecasting based on these rates

No Match $0.20/
... See more
Project is finance related and localized in the main europeans languages but I'd rather not go into the specifics since I am not looking for applications at this time and also because the project won't start before quite a while.

Translation will be done using our existing TM, I was thinking of forecasting based on these rates

No Match $0.20/word
50-74% $0.20/word
99-75% $0.12/word
100% $0.00

Does that sound about right?
Having worked myself as a translator for much less than that I wan't to make sure the rate we will be offering will be more than decent.

[Edited at 2007-06-20 23:20]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
100% matches Jun 21, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:

No Match $0.20/word
50-74% $0.20/word
99-75% $0.12/word
100% $0.00

Does that sound about right?
Having worked myself as a translator for much less than that I wan't to make sure the rate we will be offering will be more than decent.

[Edited at 2007-06-20 23:20]

I think you must also pay for 100% matches, on the principle that a decent translator will not simply ignore them, and if the job is printed for paper proofing, well, you can't simply ignore the 100% matches as you proof, and might even twiddle with them to fit them in better with 0% matches before and after.

I rarely apply fuzzy pricing, but I've alway simplifed it to 2 prices, a full rate for anything less than 75%, and half or three-quarters rate (maybe depending on counts for amtches) for the rest.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Sounds good to me, but... Jun 21, 2007

I personally don't like being paid nothing for 100% repetitions - even if you don't have to do anything, it still takes time to process them and this should be reflected in the rate. Most agencies that I work with offer around 25% for repetitions.

Apart from that, it looks reasonable from my point of view.

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
depends on the quality of the TM Jun 21, 2007

I am just translating a text. The agency has given me two pairs of files, translated by someone else for the same end client, very similar topic (financials). I have aligned them and added to my existing TM. I have only 20% of no matches, and over 50% segments are 95-99% (basically they are 100% matches - alignement penalty). Unfortunately it is not just click "set/close/next/open/get" - I have to revise and virtually rewrite almost every segment. Fortunately I am paid for the whole translation,... See more
I am just translating a text. The agency has given me two pairs of files, translated by someone else for the same end client, very similar topic (financials). I have aligned them and added to my existing TM. I have only 20% of no matches, and over 50% segments are 95-99% (basically they are 100% matches - alignement penalty). Unfortunately it is not just click "set/close/next/open/get" - I have to revise and virtually rewrite almost every segment. Fortunately I am paid for the whole translation, not just "no matches". So if your TM is really good, you can pay a bit less for matches but if the translator has to change/correct translated segments you should pay the whole rate even for 100% matches.Collapse

Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
100% matches Jun 21, 2007

The 100% matches are actually legacy text from previous releases and has already been proofed.
The translation will also be already present in the document, so the translators won't have any processing to do on the 100% matches, it will be just there for reference.

So I guess I would need to figure out a way of differentiating between 100% matches that shouldn't be proccessed and 100% matches on new text that would need to be proofed.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two issues Jun 22, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:
No Match $0.20/word
50-74% $0.20/word
99-75% $0.12/word
100% $0.00

1. Offering 60% of the price for a 75% match will only make sense if the previous translator did a good job, otherwise the current translator may spend a lot of time editing a bad translation, which may take longer than simply translating from scratch. The amount itself, 60%, isn't bad, though.

2. A 100% match still needs to be checked, so I won't take nothing for it. A 100% match should be charged at a low to middle range proofreading rate... say, 20-30% of the price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation rates forecasting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »