Outsourcers should know that Paypal is not useful in Latvia (and some other countries)
Thread poster: Evija Rimšāne

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:52
English to Latvian
Jun 21, 2007

I think life would be much easier for everybody (both outsourcers and translators) if the outsourcers knew that Paypal's not useful in Latvia. It means, I can neither receive funds, nor withdraw them from my Paypal account. I cannot even upload funds from my bank account!!! I can only send money. (And to be honest, I don't even understand how I can use the "send money" function if there is no way to put some money in my Paypal account. There is no money to be sent...). I understand that Paypal is acceptable for those Latvian linguists living abroad, however, bids are open for each Latvian linguist, and I would like to participate in bidding, too...

Anyway, I would like to propose implementing a new functionality when someone is posting a new job on the ProZ: if there is Latvian in any of language pairs and outsourcer indicates Paypal as means of payment, it would be useful adding a notice with information regarding the situation in question and suggestion choosing other means or payment.

This is very common to outsourcers from USA [and I completely understand that they have no idea about all this], and to be honest, I am getting tired of explaining why I cannot accept payments via Paypal...

P.S. TO STAFF MODERATOR: I am not sure if I have chosen the correct forum section, so it would be wonderful putting it in an appropriate section. Thanks.

[Edited at 2007-06-21 19:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giedrius Ramasauskas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2007)
English to Lithuanian
The same is in Lithuania... Jun 21, 2007

Lithuanian linguists face the same problem too. Paypal is useless, and we loose some potential ordes, if payment is only via Paypal.

Mira Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 00:52
English to Serbian
+ ...
Same problem in Serbia Jun 21, 2007

We can't even register with Paypal, Serbia does not exist in Paypal's list of countries...

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 17:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly the same problem in Colombia. Jun 21, 2007

PayPal doesn't work for Colombia either. I have lost projects because of that.

What can we do?

...I don't know.

Have a nice day!

aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:22
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Same problem in India Jun 22, 2007

This problem exists even for Indian translators, as far as I know. There are many who receive money into their paypal account. and manage to get it into their Indian accounts. So obviously there must be some way of getting the money. I wish I knew how. Without being aware of the problems, I have accepted money into a paypal account and it is stuck there.

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
Paypal is not legal in Croatia Jun 22, 2007

Paypal is not legal means of financial transaction in Croatia. As a freelance translator I can receive my funds thru my business account, by check, money order or in cash only.

Regards,
Davor

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Language pairs vs. country of residence Jun 22, 2007

Hi all,
The issue is not related to language pairs per se, but to the service provider's country of residence - for example, a Latvian translator in the US wouldn't have the problem, whereas a German translator in Latvia would.

I'm not sure about the technical feasibility of linking any warning message to a requirement for a service provider to be in a particular country. As a rather simple step, why don't you indicate that the proposed payment option is not possible when submitting a quote?

Best regards, Ralf

tiranuz

English to Russian
PROZ and VISA Jun 22, 2007

I wonder if proz.com could make a contract with VISA and issue plastic cards that would be given out to the members of this site. I heard that some sites do this.

Ravindra Godbole  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:22
Member (2002)
English to Marathi
+ ...
You can withdraw Jun 22, 2007

aruna yallapragada wrote:

This problem exists even for Indian translators, as far as I know. There are many who receive money into their paypal account. and manage to get it into their Indian accounts. So obviously there must be some way of getting the money. I wish I knew how. Without being aware of the problems, I have accepted money into a paypal account and it is stuck there.

Ugne Vitkute  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Useless PayPal for Lithuania too :) Jun 22, 2007

Yes, Evija, we, Lithuanian translators, also face this issue. I know how irritating it is too keep explaining that we cannot get money, only send money. And we actually cannot send money either because we cannot put any money on PayPal account PayPal should do something about it.

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 22, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi all,
The issue is not related to language pairs per se, but to the service provider's country of residence - for example, a Latvian translator in the US wouldn't have the problem, whereas a German translator in Latvia would.

I'm not sure about the technical feasibility of linking any warning message to a requirement for a service provider to be in a particular country. As a rather simple step, why don't you indicate that the proposed payment option is not possible when submitting a quote?

Best regards, Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Yes, I completely agree with you that it is not related per se, and I know that a Latvian translator in the US wouldn't have the problem. And of course, I can indicate it all the time when quoting that it is not possible for me using Paypal service (which I do all the time), however, it would be really great if the site staff could help, if possible, creating such warning with short information about Paypal service issues and that it IS possible that a potential Latvian translator would not be able to use Paypal service, and suggesting the outsourcer instead of "Payment: ONLY via Paypal" indicates "Payment via Paypal or [any other means of payment]".

I know, it may seem a nonessential thing to most of you, especially those who can use all the Paypal functions, however, I am getting desperate every time I have to explain these things to my clients from USA, for example.

Therefore, it would be much appreciated if it could be possible putting such a warning in place. If it's not possible, I will understand and keep on "fighting" further! (And all the fellow-translators from Lithuania, Serbia, Colombia, Croatia, etc.)

Evija

[Edited at 2007-06-22 15:31]

xxxQuinox
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same problem in Turkey Jun 24, 2007

We can't withdraw money from our Paypal accounts, either. There's only one way: to have a bank account in the US, well, if you can count it as a way, of course.
I guess, a warning about this issue would be helpful. For example it can appear while the outsourcer indicates the payment methods. I might be asking for too much, though.

Regards,
Ekin

Laerte da Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Alternative payment system Jul 31, 2007

Recently, an agency suggested I used iKobo, a debit card. It is very easy to sign up and they send the card really fast (about US $25 fee Fedex urgent delivery). Limit is low, only US $1000, and still trying to raise mine. Only senders may request to raise recipient's limit.

Payers can pay with their credit card.

----------------------------------------
http://www.ikobo.com/ref.cgi?r=SL754028BR
---------------------------------------

Laerte J Silva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcers should know that Paypal is not useful in Latvia (and some other countries)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums