how to retrieve payment from a co-translator
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 13:46
English to German
+ ...
Jun 22, 2007

Hi!
Lately one translator had purchased my services and also had mentioned that he is not an agency and was seeking help because his colleague got sick suddenly. I had asked for a formal PO, that reflects his tel number and address etc., Now the payment is due and he is neither reacting to reminders nor attending the telephone. Now I think I have been taken for a ride by another translator. Did something like to happen any of you and how did you go about getting your money? Thank you for all the help in advance. The translators was very convincing that one couldn´t say no to his request in a helpless situation. Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

you've been had Jun 22, 2007

I'm sorry to say I think you've been had, Brandis. You're just too trusting! Wish you could tell us who this "colleague" is, but rules don't permit.

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Use the Blue Board Jun 22, 2007

I would still make a corresponding entry in the Blue Board and would inform the translator about your intentions to make a Blue Board entry. At least, it helped me when I was in a situation similar to yours.

Kathi

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to Jun 23, 2007

Hii My problem is this translator is not a member from proz.com and he is not listed as agency. He seemed to be in an emergency situation and needed urgent help save his face due to his situation. Can I still post a bb on this person ? I thought BB was limited to agencies only and he is not an agency, well... according to him. On two telephonic instances I could determine there are a group of translators associated with him. May be they are playing an agency while not being one. Hard to assess. Best regards, Brandis

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...
Blue Board is for *all* our clients (agencies, companies, individuals...) Jun 23, 2007

The Blue Board is where you can post an LWA (Likelihood of Working Again) about *any* client. If you agreed to do work for somebody in exchange for payment, that somebody is your client. Whether that client is registered on ProZ.com or not is irrelevant. After all, most of us have our profiles set so we can be contacted by anyone who happens to find us in the directory, and anyone can do that, whether or not they're logged in at the time, or even have a profile.

So go ahead and create a Blue Board record, entering all the data you were provided. Once the new Blue Board has been vetted, please enter your LWA. If you enter an LWA of 1 or 2, you will be asked if you want to submit a non-payment complaint. Please do so.

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This is very sad... Jun 23, 2007

Very sad indeed, Brandis. One has to be very careful these days when being approached by anyone...

Somebody approached me the other day if I could do him a favour and convert some document into a Trados format, so he could import it.

I was a bit late in responding, so I am sure he literally "used" somebody else...

I wrote an email to appologize for not having responded so quickly, but never received an email back from him.

He mentioned in his email that this should be a free service done to a colleague and that "they" would remember me for future business [future business based on doing a little favour?] ...already the switch from the singular to the plural was what struck me strange...

On second thoughts, I thought just as well I didn't do it, these were all lies...

I agree with Yolanda make a BlueBoard entry, after all this is the only way you can mark that individual, so others won't fall victim...

I did do some lines for agencies as a favour based on the promise of future business...

Safi, barakka as we say in Arabic, no more of this...

[Edited at 2007-06-23 11:03]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be patient! Jun 23, 2007

Perhaps you invoice is due but your colleague has not received the payment from his client. How many days is due the invoice? My clients pay me between 30 and 60 days of the invoice reception. If more than 60 days have gone through, i'll write a reminder to your colleague asking him/her and request him/her the motives for the delay. Be patient, I'm sure you'll be paid.

Regards

Clarisa

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Swedish to English
+ ...
So what? Jun 23, 2007

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Perhaps you invoice is due but your colleague has not received the payment from his client.

Whether or not the other translator has received his/her payment from the end client is totally unimportant.

By outsourcing to Brandis, this person has entered into a contract with Brandis. His/her problems collecting from the end client is totally irrelevant.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I shall wait a week or so Jun 24, 2007

HI! Earlier somebody was there attending the tel line now since about 3 days nobody attends that line and the mails are not being answered . I think I shall wait a week or so. May they are having holidays in Finnland now. Brandis

Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
I avoid freelance translators who are not agencies Jun 24, 2007

My experience is that the outsourcer should be an agency and I do not take any jobs from individual translators unless I personally know them...this is the perhaps the way to avoid problems. I was also approached by some freelancers who wanted to outsource work, but I mostly rejected the job. It might sound too strict, but it helps a lot.

I know that sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between the agencies and individual translators.

Anyhow, you should insist that the colleague pays you your fees. Good luck with that!

You can also put the person in the BB.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
recd the payment onlynow, situation resolved Jun 25, 2007

Hi!
It seems they are a group of traslators working for a proz member I happen to know. They have paid just now. I thank you all for the moral support. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to retrieve payment from a co-translator

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs