charging 4% social security tax in germany
Thread poster: larat

larat  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2007

Hi everyone,
can anyone help me explain in english to a german client what the Italian "4% rivalsa inps" is and why he should pay it?
I've been trying 4 times but end up writing long explanations that don't sound too convincing (accounting is really not my field!). Thanks in advance for any help!
Lara

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't understand either Jun 25, 2007

Hi Lara,

I also don't understand why your client should pay anything else apart from your remuneration and VAT if it is applicable.

I think each of us is taking care herself/himself of social system contributions. If you have to pay it yourself, you should include it in your price.

Best regards,
Natalia

larat  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Natalia! Jun 25, 2007

I don't know if I'm good at explaining this but in Italy the law gives freelance & professionals the opportunity to charge 4% of the net amount as a contribution to the payment of social security taxes. It's the law! If I know beforehand the client will not be paying me this 4% I will charge it directly on the rate. Hope I've given a clear explanation!

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
In Italy, yes - other countries, no Jun 25, 2007

As far as I know, these sort of rules do not apply internationally. In Italy, to Italian clients, they may apply, but not to German clients in German. You can't expect the German economy to contribute to the Italian social security system. Also, 'to be given the opportunity' is not the same as 'must'. I can't imagine it is obligatory for you to charge these.

Anyway, I advise you to raise your rates by 4% for all work you do for people outside Italy. That should save you a lot of trouble.

My two cents!

Best,
Margreet

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes it is not mandatory Jun 25, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

As far as I know, these sort of rules do not apply internationally. In Italy, to Italian clients, they may apply, but not to German clients in German. You can't expect the German economy to contribute to the Italian social security system. Also, 'to be given the opportunity' is not the same as 'must'. I can't imagine it is obligatory for you to charge these.

Anyway, I advise you to raise your rates by 4% for all work you do for people outside Italy. That should save you a lot of trouble.

My two cents!

Best,
Margreet

And it should not be applied internationally, just in Italy to Italian clients

larat  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 26, 2007

Thanks everyone for answering!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

charging 4% social security tax in germany

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs