Thread poster: Sara M
Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 25, 2007

Hello,
Does anyone knows the average rates offered by Chinese agencies (for translations from english into french)?
Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-25 12:46]

Ornella Bonardi
Ornella Bonardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
quite low... Jun 25, 2007

Hi,
last week I've been contacted by a Chinese agency who asked me a quotation (ENG>ITA) that resulted very expensive for them. They explained me that they expect to pay abt 0,45-0,5 €/source word. I think they will apply more or less the same criterion for your language couple. Hope this helps...

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 02:01
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
RMB120 per 1,000 words (EN-DE) Jun 25, 2007

Hi Orbis,

Three years ago, my partner, a native German, was offered RMB120 per 1,000 words for English-German translation.

Denyce

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:01
English to Latvian
+ ...
wow! Jun 25, 2007

Ornella Bonardi wrote:

0,45-0,5 €/source word.

Is it that low?...

Yes, they are on the lower end ...... Jun 25, 2007

China appears to be a pool of computer savvy bunch who run, among many others, translation agencies.
These are the characteristics I have observed so far:

1) Very low rate -- some of them offered as low as 0.04 USD/word. This is not an exception.

2) Their justification of this low wage is volume. Certainly volume is great.

3) Even for this low rate, they are very keen about repetition discount.

4) Very tight deadlines.

... See more
China appears to be a pool of computer savvy bunch who run, among many others, translation agencies.
These are the characteristics I have observed so far:

1) Very low rate -- some of them offered as low as 0.04 USD/word. This is not an exception.

2) Their justification of this low wage is volume. Certainly volume is great.

3) Even for this low rate, they are very keen about repetition discount.

4) Very tight deadlines.

Are you willing?
Collapse

Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 26, 2007

Thanks everybody

EllyLiu
EllyLiu
China
Local time: 02:01
English to Chinese
Some are similar to what Orenella provided Jun 26, 2007

But some are not.

Ornella Bonardi wrote:

Hi,
last week I've been contacted by a Chinese agency who asked me a quotation (ENG>ITA) that resulted very expensive for them. They explained me that they expect to pay abt 0,45-0,5 €/source word. I think they will apply more or less the same criterion for your language couple. Hope this helps...

Jarosław Zawadzki
Jarosław Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Poland
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
euro? Jun 26, 2007

0,45-0,5 €/source word.

I guess you mean 0.45-0.5 RMB that would make sense

Anik Aminuddin
Anik Aminuddin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
agree with elinee Jul 10, 2007

Recently, I have been contacted by a PM of a Chinese agency which by the way has offices in Australia and Singapore.

Even with exposures to countries with high translation rates, my rates still seem unbelievably high to her and she kept nagging me to lower them down, which - of course- I refused to do since I would have gotten better paid, if I just work at local Walmart or deliver local newspaper.

She offered me US$0.03/word for ENG-INA technical translation and kept
... See more
Recently, I have been contacted by a PM of a Chinese agency which by the way has offices in Australia and Singapore.

Even with exposures to countries with high translation rates, my rates still seem unbelievably high to her and she kept nagging me to lower them down, which - of course- I refused to do since I would have gotten better paid, if I just work at local Walmart or deliver local newspaper.

She offered me US$0.03/word for ENG-INA technical translation and kept questioning me why my rates are much higher than the rates of several good translators she's already had. She went on and on about how good her translators are, so I just forwarded her email to my trash folder Why bother to contact me at all if she's already had some good translators on hand? LOL.

However, I am also in contact with a Chinese agency with office in Europe. The PM was nice and didn't seem to be bothered by my rates. I haven't got any job offer from them though, but at least they didn't bug me with silly questions about rates.

So I guess, it depends on the agency itself.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

average rates in China (ENG - FRA)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »