Mileage rates in US (for interpreting)
Thread poster: Yvette Neisser Moreno

Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2007

Hello, I have recently begun doing interpretation, and I'd like to know what the standard practice is for charging the client for mileage. Do you charge per mile, or some other way, and how do you determine the rate? Or what is the going rate?

A client recently asked me if I could charge per hour for mileage, which struck me as bizarre.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Yvette

Direct link Reply with quote

Elisha Nixon  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mileage rates in the US Jun 29, 2007

Hi Yvette,

Your clients request is very odd.... The current milage rate is $.0485/mile. Typically if you charge for milage, many companies may not pay for your gas (as you make up the difference and actually come out ahead with just the milage). However, be sure to save all of your reciepts (tolls, gas..etc.) and talk with the project manager prior to accepting the PO about reembursement.

Good luck and have fun!

Elisha

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Or travel time.. Jun 29, 2007

..in the amount of half your per hour rate (travel time is easy to determine using www.mapquest.com). I once compared my mileage at $0.40 per mile (somebody said this is the max tax-free limit) and travel time at 50% of per hour rate, and it surprisingly turned out pretty much the same.

Elisha is absolutely right: the agency should confirm mileage or travel time reimbursement in their WO.

Unfortunately, in TX where I am located most agencies do not reimburse for mileage. And this is with all those huge distances to drive and nightmare of a traffic here.

Good luck!

Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 29, 2007

Thank you both for your help. That clears things up.

By the way, I checked the GSA website--the current reimbursement rate for mileage is $.485.

bigedsenior
Local time: 04:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mileage deduction - taxes Jun 30, 2007

If you are not reimbursed for your mileage, you can deduct the expense on schedule c of your tax return. Just be sure to keep some sort of written record in case you ever get audited.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mileage rates in US (for interpreting)

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs