Mobile menu

Glossary translation: RATE for translation?
Thread poster: NTan
NTan
English
Jul 2, 2007

Hello,

I'm not a translator, but a consumer of translation services. My organization is putting together a glossary of some of our commonly used terms and translating it into over 20 different asian languages. The glossary terms would be very technical as we are an international development finance institution. The project would also include asking the translator to provide synonyms of each term in the target language (wherever possible)

But before we can put the glossary together, we have to figure out how many words we can afford to have translated.

Can someone please give me advice on how I can formulate a fair offering per term rate for a translator for translating a glossary? What should I take into consideration? How much should I compensate for the difficulty of the project?

Please help as we need to get this project going...but we can't start until we know how much we can afford.

By the way, I've already read the string of emails in another topic "Glossary translation" from February in this forum, but it didn't help.

With much appreciation,
NTan

Direct link Reply with quote

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:12
English to Russian
one hour per 25-30 terms Jul 2, 2007

Dear NTan

Regular rate for glossary translation is one hour per 25-30 source terms.

Vadim

NTan
English
TOPIC STARTER
Term = word? Jul 3, 2007

Dear Vadim,

Thank you for your response. I am still learning all about the translation business. Can you please confirm that 1 term means 1 entry in the glossary (including its definition, example, and synonyms)?

Thank you,
NTan

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:12
English to Russian
_ Jul 3, 2007

Term = entire glossary entry, e.g. "gear-adjusting nut"
Translation of definitions and getting an example on the target language is usually not included.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary translation: RATE for translation?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs