Mobile menu

Invoicing US from Spain
Thread poster: J. Calzado

J. Calzado
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 15, 2003

I am a Spanish translator living in Spain and I have no idea how to invoice an US agency from Spain. I believe EU freelancers do not have to apply VAT for USA clients, do we? Is any tax to be applied? It is also very tempting not to declare anything in Spain. Could anyone give any advice on this? Thank you all.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:20
English to German
+ ...
Consult a tax advisor for a precise answer Jan 15, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 10:22, JCD wrote:

I am a Spanish translator living in Spain and I have no idea how to invoice an US agency from Spain. I believe EU freelancers do not have to apply VAT for USA clients, do we?

Not that I\'m aware of (and I have invoiced US clients from Germany).

Quote:
Is any tax to be applied? It is also very tempting not to declare anything in Spain. Could anyone give any advice on this?

That one is simple, even though I have no idea about Spanish taxation - sounds like tax evasion to me...

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
English to German
+ ...
It is definitely tax evasion... Jan 19, 2003

...and not a very intelligent idea to discuss this in a forum on the Internet.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-20 01:50]

Adrian Woods
Spanish to English
Tax Status - Billing U.S. Jan 29, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 10:22, JCD wrote:

I am a Spanish translator living in Spain and I have no idea how to invoice an US agency from Spain. I believe EU freelancers do not have to apply VAT for USA clients, do we? Is any tax to be applied? It is also very tempting not to declare anything in Spain. Could anyone give any advice on this? Thank you all.

No VAT, no withholding if you claim (and are eligible for) \"Non Resident Alien\" status.

Look up \"Non Resident Alien\" status on the US IRS site and that will give you an idea of where you stand with the US Inland Revenue.

The Spanish \"Hacienda\" website will tell you everything you to know about your relations with it: i.e. if it sees unexplained monies flowing into your bank account from abroad it might be curious.

Its definition of tax residency status is that if you perform the work from your \"establecimiento\" in Spain it must be declared.

Adrian Woods

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing US from Spain

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs