Mobile menu

U.S. rates for science translation (Russian to English)
Thread poster: Jennifer Sunseri
Jennifer Sunseri  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:58
Russian to English
Jul 9, 2007

I have been asked to find a translator into English for arid land studies. The text is in Russian and comprises approximately 100 pages. I have someone in mind to do the work, but have no idea what to charge on his behalf. He is not based in the US, but I am assuming that I can get a better deal for him if I quote US rates. The employer is a fellow professor in a well-funded department in my university. I would appreciate any help. First, am I right in negotiating rates for him on my end here in the U.S., or are there standardized international rates for this kind of thing? And what would you deem good rates based on the information I have supplied? Thank you in advance for helping this novice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
English to German
+ ...
Of course US rates. Jul 9, 2007

This document obviously is supposed to be published in the US, so US rates should apply. There is no such thing as standardized International rates. The location of the translator should be irrelevant, may the translator live in a cave, on a tree, an igloo, in his private jet or in his personal high-rise on his private island. Job is job.

I recommend a rate of 14 cents/source word.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

U.S. rates for science translation (Russian to English)

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs