https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/78125-are_weekends_counted_for_payment.html

Are weekends counted for payment
Thread poster: ashley
ashley
ashley
Local time: 04:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2007

I`m currently doing quite a lot of work for one particular agency who`s payment policy is 30 days. Its been just over a month now and I still haven`t received payment. If the 30 days just includes weekdays, this is fine. When an agency says 30 days, do they usually literally mean 30 days or 30 week days. Should I clarify with the agency or just hang on a little longer?

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
French to English
+ ...
Calendar Days Jul 11, 2007

I believe this has been discussed in previous threads, however in the US, "payment in 30 days" is usually understood to mean calendar days unless otherwise specified. If the 30 days are up on a weekend, technically you should receive your payment by Friday at the latest.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:56
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Clarification of 30 days Jul 11, 2007

30 days means, to most agencies, that this is the absolute minimum amount of time that should pass before you enquire about your payment.

However, you should bear in mind that no payment can be made until and unless you start reminding them. If you start reminding them, however, on the 31st day, there is at least a 50:50 chance that you will receive payment by the 45th day.

Astrid

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Agree Jul 12, 2007

Anne Goff wrote:

I believe this has been discussed in previous threads, however in the US, "payment in 30 days" is usually understood to mean calendar days unless otherwise specified. If the 30 days are up on a weekend, technically you should receive your payment by Friday at the latest.

30 Days is 30 calendar days. Except those times when the contract says 30 days end of month... but then that's a different situation.

And anyone who does not pay within the agree period is a late payer.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, calendar days Jul 12, 2007

Anne Goff wrote:

I agree with Anne. In the UK I'm sure it means 30 calendar days unless "30 working days" is specified. This means, for example, that if you do a job in May and invoice it in May, payment should be made not later than 30th June. You might allow until, say, 4th July before to allow for the odd weekend, before reminding the client that payment is due, but any longer than that and the client is paying late.
Good luck,
Jenny.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
not necessarily Jul 12, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

However, you should bear in mind that no payment can be made until and unless you start reminding them. If you start reminding them, however, on the 31st day, there is at least a 50:50 chance that you will receive payment by the 45th day.

My experience only partially bears this out. Some of my agencies do need reminding before they pay. Others, however, pay on time with no need for reminders.

And yes, 30 days does mean 30 calendar days (I usually start issuing reminders after a month, which keeps things simple).

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 06:56
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
"30 days" = 1 month Jul 20, 2007

I civil law, "30 days" usually mean one month (July 1st - August 1st), "5 days" usually mean "a working week" (you only count the working days of the week), where "7 days" = a "calendar week" (Wednesday-Wednesday), "45 days" = 1 1/2 of month, and so on...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are weekends counted for payment

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »