Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 18:28
English to Korean
+ ...
Jul 14, 2007

Hi all,

Recently I applied for a UK agency and they mailed me contract forms for approved suppliers. I am supposed to fill in rates and prices for various services they offer, i.e, translation, interpreting, proofreading, transcription, subtitling, etc. My working pairs are English to/from Korean. I've been in-house/ freelancer translator and interpreter over 12 years and worked for a major English-language daily newspaper, publishing house and int'l trading company for years
... See more
Hi all,

Recently I applied for a UK agency and they mailed me contract forms for approved suppliers. I am supposed to fill in rates and prices for various services they offer, i.e, translation, interpreting, proofreading, transcription, subtitling, etc. My working pairs are English to/from Korean. I've been in-house/ freelancer translator and interpreter over 12 years and worked for a major English-language daily newspaper, publishing house and int'l trading company for years in South Korea. I think my desired rates and prices for linguistic service depend on where I live. Although S. Korea is not much regarded as rich country like Japan, UK or Germany, average living expenses are almost on a par with US and Japan. That is especially so in my city, Seoul, where I live. As a newbie on ProZ, I have done a number of assignments for US and Italian outsourcers. No experience with company in UK yet.

If someone is experienced linguist wroking, living in UK or is non-UK linguist but has a lot of experience working for UK agency, I will appreciate if you can let me know ideal average rate and price I can use in contract with UK translation agency. I need help with

1. Translation rate per 1,000 words and minimum charge?

For both ENG > KOR, KOR > ENG

2. Proofreading rate per hour?

3. Interpreting rate(Consecutive and Ad-hoc only)

Full day rate, half day rate, hourly rate, minimum charge?

4. Transcription rate or charge?

5. Subtitling price and price structure?

I also like to know in which currency I'd better quote my rates and prices for this. In GBP, Euro or USD?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Jay

[Edited at 2007-07-14 16:01]

[Edited at 2007-07-14 16:02]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 02:23]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 02:35]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 02:37]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 02:41]
Collapse

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
German to English
Just a suggestion Jul 15, 2007

You should give your prices in GBP when working with UK agencies. What about converting your euro rates into pounds and taking it from there?

Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 18:28
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Sarah. What I like to know is average UK rates and prices Jul 16, 2007

Hi Sarah,

Thanks. Okay. I can quote my rates and prices in GBP. Although what I need to know are average UK rates and prices for translation, proofreading, interpreting, transcription and subtitling as you find in my original post. I can put my transaltion rate I used with non-UK agencies but said rate might be too low or high compaired with average UK translation rate. Besides I have never done any proofing, interpreting, subscription and subtitling for non-UK agencies. So I
... See more
Hi Sarah,

Thanks. Okay. I can quote my rates and prices in GBP. Although what I need to know are average UK rates and prices for translation, proofreading, interpreting, transcription and subtitling as you find in my original post. I can put my transaltion rate I used with non-UK agencies but said rate might be too low or high compaired with average UK translation rate. Besides I have never done any proofing, interpreting, subscription and subtitling for non-UK agencies. So I do not have my rates and prices for these types of services. Without prior knowledge of average rates and prices for translation, proofreading, interpreting, subscription and subtitling widely used with UK agencies, my quotes can be too low or high.

If some UK linguist who has good experience with all these types of services, he or she can let me know average UK rates and prices -- appropriate and decent figures, hopefully! I need to know average rates/prices currently used in UK before filling out forms from my UK agency. Hope this makes sense.

Jay

[Edited at 2007-07-16 09:16]

[Edited at 2007-07-16 09:17]

[Edited at 2007-07-16 09:18]

[Edited at 2007-07-16 09:19]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
German to English
+ ...
Hard to say Jul 17, 2007

Some national translators' associations have this type of information. The ATA isn't allowed to comment on this type of thing, as I recall.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help from professional linguist in UK or Europe

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »