Mobile menu

Of possible interest to people who can't get a PayPal account because of where they live
Thread poster: Amy Duncan
Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2007

I stumbled across this website about opening a bank account in France, no matter where you live. I can't vouch for the site, of course, but I thought I should post it here because some people might want to take advantage of it to open a PayPal account.

I live in Brazil, and the only reason I have a fully functioning PayPal account is because I have a bank account in New York, but I know many people who live here and in other countries where PayPal is either unavailable or limited, and this might be a solution for them. Worth looking into, in any case.

I hope it's not some kind of fraud!

http://www.frenchbankaccountsetup.com/index.html

Amy

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:32
English to Russian
+ ...
thank you for this link. Jul 17, 2007

I live in a country where paypal is useless.
but we have cheaper and much better alternative here.
A british payment system moneybookers.
Works great and nearly for free.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Check out Xoom.com Jul 17, 2007

I live in Brazil too, and getting money from PayPal here always led to a dead end... until I found http://www.xoom.com .

They don't have "accounts" there, like PayPal or Ikobo. Their job is to send money from many sources - PayPal included - to a bank account in many countries.

It worked fine in Brazil. Within 24 hours the amount withdrawn from PayPal was credited to my account here.

Just one piece of warning to translators... It might be tempting to save a few bucks in fees by telling your overseas client to pay you directly through Xoom. AFAIK all their e-mail notifications are sent to the money SENDER. So if anything goes wrong in the process you'll have to inconvenience your client. If they are a WWA=1 case, they may play the trite "your payment was duly sent" trick.

By routing it via PayPal you'll know immediately that you've been paid, and will control both ends of the international transaction. If money leaves your own PayPal account and fails to reach your local bank account via Xoom, you can complain to the proper party yourself.

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Duh...?? Jul 31, 2007

Can you explain this again? I don't think paypal would be so wonderful here either in the Caribbean - are you saying I shoul dstill use paypal, and then use xoom to send money from my paypal to my Jamaican account? Thanks.

xxxDBT Translat
Local time: 08:32
French to English
Paypal in France Aug 11, 2007

I had a huge problem in France a few months ago. I set up a paypal business account, and needed to transfer money from the one based in the UK to the new one here in France.

As soon as I did this, the account was restricted, not blocked. So, I contacted them, and was told I had suspicious acitivy and they needed to verify me.

Well, I was in the process of transfering quite a few hundred Euros to an Interpreter who did some work for me, and I was unable to send it. I finally could about 3 weeks later.

During this time, paypal wanted copies of bills, bank statements, front and back copy of credit card, email communications between the client (based in New York, but the interpreting was in Paris), and me, which I flatly denied to give since it did not regard paypal, and of course my inside leg measurement.

I still have the communications in email, as a memory!

I sent them the info, waited 2 days, got a response explaining that it was not sufficient, and they required further information, and to confirm my telephone number etc. All of this involved sending faxes of photocopies, in colour of course, and cost me a lot of time.

I was beyond appalled. Utterly disgusted is an understatment. They asked questions about the "product purchased" etc, this product being a very experienced interpreter.

In the end, and after 5 incredibly fiercely strong emails, I gave up, and called (which took a while in itself). The guy said he was unable to do anything on the phone, however, I stayed on the phone (he was in Lux.) until he either did something about it, or gave me the number of the highest manager available. He gave me another number.

I called this number, and was told that an "urgent" tag would be placed on the case and I could expect an email. I demanded an email be sent confirming this whilst I was on the phone to him, which happened, and then about 30 minutes later, it was free.

In fact, I had to send the money to the interpreter out of my own money, personally (!), since I was unable to transfer funds into this new account, and wanted to avoid (for the Interpreter) the astronomical transfer charges they would have taken etc. So I transfered the money, once I had access to it, to my own account.

I closed the paypal account, and will not be using them again, nor promoting them to anybody.

I did alot of research online, and discovered this problem all over the world, and also learnt that Paypal are able to make interest on funds in restricted accounts, so I think that this is why they restrict them so much.....

to make money, and ignore customers needs, causing embarrassment, such as in my case.

May this be a warning to all,

Daniel.

Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:32
Italian to English
Have you tried it out yet? Aug 16, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

I stumbled across this website about opening a bank account in France, no matter where you live. I can't vouch for the site, of course, but I thought I should post it here because some people might want to take advantage of it to open a PayPal account.

I live in Brazil, and the only reason I have a fully functioning PayPal account is because I have a bank account in New York, but I know many people who live here and in other countries where PayPal is either unavailable or limited, and this might be a solution for them. Worth looking into, in any case.

I hope it's not some kind of fraud!

http://www.frenchbankaccountsetup.com/index.html

Amy

Let us know how it works out, when you do!

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I haven't Aug 16, 2007

Kelly O'Connor wrote:

Have you tried it out yet?

Let us know how it works out, when you do! [/quote]

Hi Kelly...no, I won't be trying it out, because I have a bank account in the USA and don't need to. I posted this for people who live in countries that don't get full access to PayPal accounts (like Brazil) and who need to have a bank account in some country that does.

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Of possible interest to people who can't get a PayPal account because of where they live

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs