Thread poster: Gennady Lapardin

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:22
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2007

Dear Collegues,

could you please "switch me over" to a forum on the subject in the header above. Or advise, how (in which way) could be tags counted (total, match, no match). This question is post factum (I've had to agree to the Workbench analyses with a feeling of having done more than the analyses said), for future use.
I didn't translate the tags, just copied them from source into clean (no tags but translated) target with all appropriate doings.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 15:22
+ ...
The simple way would be... Jul 31, 2007

Just use the Word Find & Replace function to replace all < characters with a string of your liking (or just nothing). Once finished, the function will tell you how many instances of "<" were replaced. And since there is exactly one < in every tag, there you have your number.

If the tag file you worked on was in TagEditor, you'll need to copy the contents of the file to the clipboard first (Select all using the mouse, then Ctrl+C) and paste them in an empty Word document (Ctrl+V).

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
And how about analysing tags in Trados TagEditor? Jul 31, 2007

Thank you, Ben,

I noticed that when I analyse phrase with old tags or non-tagged phrase, the counting gives me, suppose, full match, because that phrase was in the previous version of a manual. But when afterwards I translate it with TagEditor, it turnes out that new tags (from new version of the manual), which have not been seen by Workbench analyzer, give me 90-95%, even less.
I want to say that with Find-Replace I can only count total tags, and no analysis (match, no match) is available ?

Last question) What the people normally charge for ? Are they accounted one tag=one word ?

[Edited at 2007-07-31 22:57]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You do not translate tags Aug 1, 2007

You only copy the source tags into the target segment. Tags are never counted and do not show up in invoicing.
Usually Trados WB analysis takes into account segments with new or changed tags and you should get paid for these segments at least a fraction of the normal word rate. Authors keep putting formatting into new places and removing formatting from old places and there you are with a changed segment but identical text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting tags in Trados TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs