Mobile menu

Rate for fuzzy match in Trados
Thread poster: Carol Chen

Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:25
English to Chinese
Aug 2, 2007

Could anybody tell how to decide rate for fuzzy match in Trados?

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:25
English to French
+ ...
Several methods Aug 2, 2007

Fuzzy matches being similar to a translation unit already in the TM but not quite, they have different levels of similarity and therefore require editing to different extents. A 95% match will require generally much less editing than a 75% match. This is why people who choose to offer fuzzy rates have schemes for these.

The most popular one I've seen looks a bit like this:
100% match/repetition: 20% of full rate
85% to 99% matches: 50% of full rate
75% to 84% matches: 75% of full rate
50% to 74% matches: 100% of full rate (they require to be entirely reqritten most of the time)
No match: full rate

Please note that this is far from being the golden rule. In fact, many translators first analyse the Trados analysis to see what percentage of the text is repetitions and 100% matches and the more these match types are present, the higher the price they charge for them. The same goes for other match types. This means that a given translator can change their CAT scheme from one project to the next.

The bottom line is that, using the analysis, you can more or less evaluate how long it will take you to translate the document, that is, what's involved in terms of time. It makes sense to charge based on time rather than based on number of words. We all want to be ultimately paid for the time we spend on a job, regardless of the number of words. So, it is best to have a good idea of what you are worth per hour and then evaluate the time you expect it will take you to complete the job. However, clients mostly want to pay per word (except in certain countries, like Germany). So, you need to adapt your hourly rate to their logic and establish a CAT scheme.

If you get a 10000-word project, 50% of which are repetitions and 50% being no match, and you estimate that it will take you 5 8-hour days to complete the job and that you are worth 25$ per hour, then it looks something like this:

8 hours x $25 = $200
$200 x 5 days = $1000

So, to you, the contract is worth $1000. Considering a repetition is often charged at 20% of the full rate, and that 50% of the text is repetitions:

$1000 / 6 = $166 (since the 20% rate for repetitions and the 100% rate for no matches totals 120%, that is 6 x 20% (6 times the repetitions rate))
Thus, those 5000 words that are repetitions should be charged at $166, that is, $166 / 5000 = $0.033 per repetition word.

Also, $1000 - $166 = $834, then $834 / 5000 = $0.166 per no match word.

If we reverse calculate, (5000 words x $0.033) + (5000 words x $0.166) = $165 + $830 = $995 - five bucks short of the expected $1000.

Of course, if you also get a TM that includes fuzzy matches, then the calculation will be more complicated, but I guess you get the picture.

I am against fuzzy rates and I don't use them. But since repetitions and 100% matches require practically no effort, I offer them free to deserving and well appreciated clients I have been working with for a long time. In many cases, this compensates for the fuzzy matches charged at full rate.

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Aug 2, 2007

Many thanks for your detailed explanation! It really helps!

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:25
English to Russian
other option Aug 2, 2007

One of my customers uses the following grid:
0-84% - no match, 100% of full rate.
85%-99% - fuzzy match, 75% of full rate.
That's adequate IMHO, but such grid is rare...

Canada
English to French
+ ...
You are lucky, Vadim Aug 2, 2007

Such clients are becoming a rarity. You really must have gone through lots of empty shells to find such a pearl!

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Approving rate Aug 3, 2007

Does anybody know anything about approving rate?I usually set proofreading and review rate as 50% of translation rate. However, as I haven't heard this approving rate,could anybody give suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Canada
English to French
+ ...
More context please Aug 4, 2007

I am not sure what you mean, Carol. Do you mean proofreading, as in simply making sure the spelling and punctuation are right? Or do you mean editing? Is it the linguistic aspect of the document that you would "approve" or the style?

My general guideline is 50% for editing and 25% for proofreading. But both jobs are best invoiced based on an hourly rate because it is often hard to know just how much editing a document will require. Also, don't forget that your hourly rate should be the same no matter what task you perform - an hour of your time is an hour of your time. Of course, if a proofreading job takes four times less time to do than the translation of the same text, then it also costs the client four times less money. Therefore, if you translate for $30 per hour, you should also proofread and/or edit for $30 per hour.

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
First time to hear about "Approving rate" Aug 5, 2007

Hi Viktoria, it is also the first time for me to hear about "Approving rate".I encountered it when I filled my profile online of a translation company. Thanks for your information about pricing based on hourly rate. It is quite reasonable, useful and simple.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for fuzzy match in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs