Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Are agencies without a website to be trusted?
Thread poster: Seamus Moran

Seamus Moran  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
Aug 17, 2007

I recently saw an ad on Proz. The agency was looking for freelance translators but had no website and could not be found on the Internet. I am wondering - can one trust an agency that does not have a website? Would they pay you? I have heard of a case where a friend of a friend was not paid and could not track down the agency.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Unless you're desperate for work and bored out of your wits... Aug 17, 2007

...I wouldn't touch this. They may very well be genuine, but chances are, they're not.

jmadsen  Identity Verified
I would be cautious... Aug 17, 2007

I often try to judge agencies by looking at their website, but nowadays it's easy to make a very presentable website at a very low cost.

Some years ago I did a project for an British agency who only had an unfinished website (work in progress, which was like that for years). In the end, I lost a lot of money. I have now learnt to be more careful...

Good luck

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It all depends... Aug 17, 2007

They could be a small, new agency, and quite honest and genuine.

Do they have an entry in the phone book at least, or is there enough information about them in the ad to establish which phone book to look in (presumably online, anyhow)?

As for working for an agency that later cannot be traced, it is a healthy practice to obtain a billing address and telephone number before working for them, and, as has been mentioned before, try a test phone call to that number as well before starting the job.

Best of luck!

Astrid

Seamus Moran  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should Proz offer a disclaimer? Aug 17, 2007

I agree. I saw an ad the other day on Proz and just think that some poor, unfortunate person will be conned by this apparently non-transparent agency in a far-flung region, i.e the Middle East, India, China etc. I replied to the ad to voice my concerns but they did not reply. Maybe Proz should provide a warning about these agencies, especially for fresh-faced freelance newcomers.

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Aug 17, 2007

I would not say a website is a guarantee in general.
I can say that my best client has never had a website, still his agency is the most correct, precise, and honest I have ever met in my professional life.
When he first contacted me years ago, he wrote a very detailed e-mail presenting his agency, and from that I felt he was a correct person. Of course, I cannot explain how I could judge his honesty from that e-mail:)

Good luck

Antonella

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 04:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Trust your gut feeling Aug 17, 2007

I can't explain what I mean but I had an experience recently - a direct job offer - some 1200 words from a new client in Europe. The whole thing happened in a blink of an eye without much formalities, including payment via Paypal within 24 hours. I read the message, then we exchanged a couple more and I just knew that I was talking to "my kind of spieces":-). Honestly I don't remember if I looked up the BB record but definitely didn't bother to look up the website.

[Edited at 2007-08-17 16:11]

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:41
English to Russian
some experience Aug 17, 2007

Once upon a time I have received DTP task from big agency (so they said). But they had no public web site, because advertizing is against their business model. So they said. And their representative reached me from free email. Because translators, who are not paid because of low quality of their work, often send malware to their corporate mail. So they said.
I refused.

[Edited at 2007-08-17 14:09]

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 07:41
Not serious enough Aug 17, 2007

A few days ago, I was approached by a Chinese agency via e-mail, which was looking for a Chinese-German translator for an on-site job in Munich. This e-mail has no addresser, no website, no phone number, no address, no nothing... How can an agency expect any response if it appears so unprofessional?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Online presence is one factor Aug 17, 2007

...but not the only one.

Although it's unusual for an intermediary in this business to go without any online trace, it's not unheard of. In fact, there are some serious outsourcers trying to avoid leaving tracks online.

When assessing the credibility of new (potential) clients, online references are one factor to be taken into account, but not the only one.

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps... Aug 17, 2007

Seamus Moran wrote:
The agency was looking for freelance translators but had no website and could not be found on the Internet.

I find it curious that people think that bad paying clients can be traced more easily if they have web sites... yet web sites are more easy for crooks to get up and running than street addresses, telephone numbers etc.

I won't trust an agency without any contact details. There must be contact details. But if those include telephone, fax number, street address and stuff like that, then I don't see the problem. It is simply a little more hassle and somewhat more expensive to check them out before you work for them.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
I agree with Samuel Aug 17, 2007

What counts is whether you have all their contact details or not. You can still check the address on online resources, not necessarily looking at the telephone directory (I mean, a hardcopy book). Those who have flashy websites with no contact details or real address provided are worse in terms of reliability, IMO.

Samuel Murray wrote:

I won't trust an agency without any contact details. There must be contact details. But if those include telephone, fax number, street address and stuff like that, then I don't see the problem. It is simply a little more hassle and somewhat more expensive to check them out before you work for them.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Samuel and Özden Aug 18, 2007

If you want to learn more about a company there are other ways to do so.

My own company owns a domain name but never ever had a website in seven years. Yet we are paying fat four-digit amounts within minutes after receipt of an invoice. Am I the only one?

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Are agencies WITH a website to be trusted? Aug 18, 2007

Just wondering.

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-08-18 18:57]

LesBrets  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Are translators without a website to be trusted? Aug 18, 2007

As of course most translators use computers and the internet everyday.
What is our representation of trust and confidence based on?
An image?
A fashion?
It is not easy to stop thinking as if everything would be squeezed into myriads of moulds.
What about classifying translators and agencies without a mobile phone?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are agencies without a website to be trusted?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs