Question about project management and contract.
Thread poster: Flora Perez
Flora Perez
Flora Perez
Spain
Local time: 13:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2007

Hi, this is my situation:

I have been working for my first client for two months at a part-time basis, basically subtitling for DVD's (not translation, just spotting from the translated full dialogue) They want me to keep working with them doing the same job and also as a project manager and, thus, launch the subtitling department. It sounds really interesting, doesn't it?

The problem is that I have been told to stay in an office for the whole day, without any contract,
... See more
Hi, this is my situation:

I have been working for my first client for two months at a part-time basis, basically subtitling for DVD's (not translation, just spotting from the translated full dialogue) They want me to keep working with them doing the same job and also as a project manager and, thus, launch the subtitling department. It sounds really interesting, doesn't it?

The problem is that I have been told to stay in an office for the whole day, without any contract, and being a freelancer. Apparently, I will have a minimum pay. But I haven't been told how much and I don't think they want to pay me a decent salary, for what I've seen so far (they told me I can ear from 900€ to 2000€), depending on how long I'm determined to stay in the office.

I have heard this situation is not legal, so I would like to ask them, either have a contract with a minimum salay + projects (which they pay me for 200 € each, and it takes me one week to do them properly) and accept their "funny" rates, or work from home and do just the projects for them.

so I would like to know:

1- whether working as a freelance in a specific office for X hours a day is actually legal or not (my client says we work per project, but everyone there has a timetible to follow, so it's actually per hours)

2- Which is the average salary for a project manager (I leave in Spain), in order to know how much could I ask or reject the work for (I have an MA in Audiovisual Translation, so I'm properly trained to do the job)

I've always wanted to make aliving out of this translation field, but I can't pay my mortgage with peanuts, I suppose you know what I mean.

I would highly appreciate a professional opinion about these issues.

Thank you very much.

Flora

[Editado a las 2007-08-22 16:11]
Collapse

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
English to French
+ ...
Project Management Aug 22, 2007

Fee range depending how busy the company is.
$90.00 to $200.00 per day.
Or a percentage on a project basis.
10 to 15%

[Edited at 2007-08-22 17:02]

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Talk to an accountant Aug 23, 2007

I don't know the specifics of the Spanish market, but I share your suspicion that that is not legal.

In Germany anyway the Inland Revenue Office stipulates that you can only work a certain percentage of time with any given employer or else you are no longer a freelancer but rather a fixed employee--and hence entitled to things like vacation and health care. I believe it's a percentage of gross income, but I've never had to explore the issue in depth.

In any case, I sus
... See more
I don't know the specifics of the Spanish market, but I share your suspicion that that is not legal.

In Germany anyway the Inland Revenue Office stipulates that you can only work a certain percentage of time with any given employer or else you are no longer a freelancer but rather a fixed employee--and hence entitled to things like vacation and health care. I believe it's a percentage of gross income, but I've never had to explore the issue in depth.

In any case, I suspect that Spain has some sort of similar system in place. An accountant would know more, so best go have a sit-down and find some answers for your situation.

Good luck!

Steven
Collapse

Flora Perez
Flora Perez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS A LOT Aug 30, 2007

Thank you very much for your help.
I haven't found out much about this yet, but I keep on searching.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about project management and contract.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »