What to do if agency is not paying...
Thread poster: Dilshod Madolimov

Dilshod Madolimov  Identity Verified
Uzbekistan
Local time: 09:02
English to Uzbek
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

I have worked for an agency, and now they are not paying for my services. What should I do? Please, any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:02
English to German
+ ...
Provide some more details, and search the forum... Aug 28, 2007

Hi Dilshod,
Sorry to hear about this. However, for any well-founded advice, you would need to provide some more information, including:

- Did you get a purchase order?
- Did you issue an invoice? How long ago? What were the payment terms agreed upon?
- Did you send a written reminder?
- Which country is the agency located in?

You may also want to search the forum; unfortunately, non-payment and collection are discussed frequently.

Best regards,
Ralf

Uzbekistan
English to Uzbek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What to do if agency is not paying... Aug 28, 2007

Hi Ralf,

Thank you. Yes, I got a PO. I have sent them an invoice after the completion of the job. They said their payment is within 7 days. A week passed and no payment. I wrote them if they are going to pay. They said that they had to pay another Editor to make more revisions. And after one or two of my messages with warning they said they can pay nearly half of the payment. It is an Indian agency. What should I do?

[Edited at 2007-08-28 11:52]

Buck
Netherlands
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
seeking payment Aug 28, 2007

The fact that they had to pay someone else to make revisions is THEIR problem, not yours, and I would tell them so. I have seen jobs posted for Indian clients, and this is one of the reasons I NEVER respond to them. I stick to Europe (because I live in Europe).

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Was it really so bad? Aug 28, 2007

As they are challenging the quality of your work, you should at least have the right to know how bad it was. So I'd suggest you ask them for the final, "revised" version of your translation so you can compare with yours.

As you'll probably have signed a NDA with them, they can't say it's "confidential"

Then the truth will hopefully come out.

Uzbekistan
English to Uzbek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No... Aug 28, 2007

It was a subtitling job. I had to edit lines. All lines which are more than 2 lines make them 2 lines. Everything was OK. Some lines has both source and target words. The other day after sending the jopb to them they asked me to put one language words to one line and the other to other line. I said it is impossible as it will not fit the line. Then they said they will give it to someone else for editing. And they say he/she has done so they pay to him/her from my payment. I asked them to show me the edited file, but after this they are not responding to my emails.

The Misha
Local time: 23:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Write it off! Aug 28, 2007

As much as I sympathize with your situation, I don't think there is anything you can do about it. You shouldn't have accepted a job from India in the first place - since in a situation like this you have absolutley no recourse. Give them the worst feedback possible on BB (except they probably don't give a damn), learn from the experience and move on.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Accept no jobs from X country"? Aug 28, 2007

I'm amazed at this type of advice. Are we really to understand that India (in this case) is a lawless country where one cannot file complaints for nonpayment?

[Edited at 2007-08-28 16:32]

Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
Member (2006)
Italian to English

Been there.. Aug 28, 2007

Dilshod Madolimov wrote:

I have worked for an agency, and now they are not paying for my services. What should I do? Please, any advice.

Did you ask someone at Proz to get involved? Sometimes hearing it from different people helps.

I do not know if it makes you feel any better or not, but I just lost 3 weeks of work and $900..the client's client's client refused to pay for a translation which was handled by several translators (one of which was me) stating that the overall quality was lousy, so my direct client decided that no one should get paid.
Not only that but tthe client also demanded a hefty discount of projects that I had already completed during the previous month!

I think about it as cost of doing business but also as a valuable learning experience for me as well. The funny (or not) part was that this agency was and still is rated 5 star on proz.

If you are a one-man show like me, do not fall for the "invoice me on a monthly basis" line; as proven if anything goes wrong, regardless of whose fault it is, you will be asked to "partecipate".

Needless to say I will not accept any additional work from them but, since I have already given the agency an excellent rating based upon the first project I had completed with them, beware...the same thing may be happening incognito across the board with no one being able to report it after the fact.

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can change BB ratings Aug 28, 2007

rfmoon wrote:

Needless to say I will not accept any additional work from them but, since I have already given the agency an excellent rating based upon the first project I had completed with them, beware...the same thing may be happening incognito across the board with no one being able to report it after the fact.

Sorry to read about this, Rosanna. However, as far as I know, you can change your BlueBoard rating.

As for the non-payment itself, as Ralf suggests, please search the forum. It has been dicussed a few times.

Best of luck,
Jerónimo

[Edited at 2007-08-28 22:07]

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Changing entries to Blue Board records Aug 29, 2007

Entries can be changed *unless* the outsourcer has responded. However, once an outsourcer has responded, this is no longer possible. Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/blue_board_agency#blue_board_agency_removal

However,

(1) You can *add* an entry once a year

(2) Blue Board entries can be removed in case of non-payment. In such cases, please contact a Jobs moderator to file a non-payment complaint.

Yolanda Broad

Capesha  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
I am experiencing the same.... Aug 29, 2007

presently I have the same problems. Not with India - they are paying small fees, but they pay always after the first reminder.

It is a GB agency for which I did 3 translations.
I should better have read their blue board index. It is horrible and I think, I can forget a sum of nearly 1000 Euros total.

My advice: for new customers try to find out who they are and if they already have entries. Second: don't take too large orders for the first time - so the loss won't be so hard.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is small orders that you cannot get the money for Aug 29, 2007

Capesha wrote:

My advice: ...Second: don't take too large orders for the first time - so the loss won't be so hard.

With new customers, I prefer a job of at least a few hundred. I have lost money by doing small jobs for new customers, as the cost of enforcing payment would have been equal to or greater than the amount of the invoice. However, with a large job, no-one can get away with not paying you, because it is worthwhile to take steps to enforce payment if necessary.

Astrid

Capesha  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
One point for you, Astrid Aug 29, 2007

I really didn't see the matter from your view. But now, I read - I think - and I agree with you.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-29 13:34]

Judy Almodovar
Italy
English to Tagalog
+ ...
5 star rated agency.... Aug 30, 2007

rfmoon wrote:

Dilshod Madolimov wrote:

Did you ask someone at Proz to get involved? Sometimes hearing it from different people helps.

I do not know if it makes you feel any better or not, but I just lost 3 weeks of work and $900..the client's client's client refused to pay for a translation which was handled by several translators (one of which was me) stating that the overall quality was lousy, so my direct client decided that no one should get paid.
Not only that but tthe client also demanded a hefty discount of projects that I had already completed during the previous month!

I think about it as cost of doing business but also as a valuable learning experience for me as well. The funny (or not) part was that this agency was and still is rated 5 star on proz.

If you are a one-man show like me, do not fall for the "invoice me on a monthly basis" line; as proven if anything goes wrong, regardless of whose fault it is, you will be asked to "partecipate".

For the previous month I had completed a large volume of translation project for my favorite agency in fact this is rated 5 star on proz, this is not the first project I did for the specific language pair but lately like Rosanna experienced, The PM I had work with told me that the quality of my job was bad and they have to hire and pay for the editor/reviser so they had to charge over my payment the money they will pay for the editor/reviser. PM said that I had submitted the project too much late but actually I meet the deadline, it was her who didn't confirm that she received the files on the date we had agreed and beside she change the automated way how to submit the translated file, actually she just reply after 5 days past but asking me where are the files, how was going on my translation? I was shock, why she ask me like this. I reply to her email and told her since I was really shock, "what? I had already submit it and It's been 5 days fast that I was waiting any email from you and what took you so long to reply to my email?" she get angry of me and she said you have to give me the other translated file, fine anyway I had copy on my desktop. After a day, she told me, I had only to pay you on this amount xxx. I try to call and talk to this PM, she just tell me I had to pay for the reviser so I had to take it from your payment but actually I've try to talk to her all about how it come that the project was bad, she had to removed a specified amount not based on the written invoice, she just replied I am too busy and I dont have enough time to talk.

This is one of the many hidden comment for a 5 star agency, they are the big fish, so better not to accept any jobs from them. It means we had learn. But still thinking how and when we can also post a negative feedback to an agency, maybe at the end of our translation business.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do if agency is not paying...

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs