Thread poster: Marta Amigo
Marta Amigo
Marta Amigo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

I am registered self-employed in the UK and working mostly for British companies but also doing work for Spanish companies. I am living between these two countries. Can anyone advise on whether it's ok to keep my business address in the UK although I am spending more and more time in Spain working via Internet?

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:08
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
same here Aug 28, 2007

Im in a similar situation (though countries are different) and I see nothing wrong with it. Ive my business address in one country and pay taxes there while I spend time in another country and work via internet.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Question of residency Aug 28, 2007

It depends how long you stay in Spain, I know once you start approaching 180 days a year (don't have exact figure handy), you are deemed resident for tax purposes there and have to register and start paying tax.

Best to approach an accountant than rely on the forums for things like this.

Good luck
Debs

[Editada em 2007-08-28 17:29]

Dr. Derk von Moock
Dr. Derk von Moock
Greece
Local time: 22:08
Greek to German
+ ...
Question of residency Aug 28, 2007

In the EU your (tax) residency is where you live more than half of the year (183 days).
I have benn trough this (Greece-Germany)

Derk

Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
Local time: 21:08
English to Tagalog
+ ...
registered self-employed Aug 28, 2007

Marta Amigo wrote:

I am registered self-employed in the UK and working mostly for British companies but also doing work for Spanish companies. I am living between these two countries. Can anyone advise on whether it's ok to keep my business address in the UK although I am spending more and more time in Spain working via Internet?

It's ok to keep you business address in the UK as what you said you are registered self-employed there and obviously it is necessary to pay your tax there. And as what you said you are also working in Spain but via internet, well nothing to worry about it, otherwise you have to pay also your tax voluntarilly depend on your criteria if you are also a registered residence in Spain. Base on my experienced.

Me, I am a registered self-employed and an employee here in Greece and I pay my tax, while I am a permanent residence of Italy I only pay tax when I'm there and when I'm working there (required as an employee) and even via internet (translation agencies inside Italy). Well, too much tax.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Keep it in the UK-legal entity Aug 29, 2007

It might be a good idea to keep your tax-residence in the U.K. and see to it that you are more than 183, say 190 in this country. Neither the British nor the Spanish tax-man is going to stand next to you every day of the year in order to count those days.
The U.K. (and Ireland) is/are more business-minded and friendly to the self-employed than any other country in Europe. VAT: treshold €91.000 p.a., easy registration for self-employed, easy company formation.
The latter might be a
... See more
It might be a good idea to keep your tax-residence in the U.K. and see to it that you are more than 183, say 190 in this country. Neither the British nor the Spanish tax-man is going to stand next to you every day of the year in order to count those days.
The U.K. (and Ireland) is/are more business-minded and friendly to the self-employed than any other country in Europe. VAT: treshold €91.000 p.a., easy registration for self-employed, easy company formation.
The latter might be a good idea: In that case, you are a legal entity, separate from a natural person (you) and in that case it does not matter where you are based. You can even pay yourself a (low) salary and declare that to the country where you are +183 days.

[Edited at 2007-08-29 10:54]
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:08
German to English
Out of curiosity Aug 29, 2007

What happens if you do not spend more than 1/2 the year in one place--let's say for the sake of argument you're a freelance journalist on assignment in Portugal, France and Greece for 8 weeks at a stretch, then split the rest of the time between the US and the UK. Who gets first dibs at the tax dollars?

Marta Amigo
Marta Amigo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your useful comments! Aug 29, 2007

Thanks very much to all for your replies.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Uncle Sam Aug 29, 2007

Steven Sidore wrote:

What happens if you do not spend more than 1/2 the year in one place--let's say for the sake of argument you're a freelance journalist on assignment in Portugal, France and Greece for 8 weeks at a stretch, then split the rest of the time between the US and the UK. Who gets first dibs at the tax dollars?

Uncle Sam, given that you are a U.S.-citizen. Isn't the U.S. applying a different rule and don't have Uncle Sam's children have to pay income tax to the well-known I.R.S. whereever they are on the planet?

[Edited at 2007-08-29 19:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working for more than one EU country

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »