BELARUS: Should a translator be registered as an entrepreneur and pay taxes?
Thread poster: katenagui
katenagui
katenagui
Local time: 23:52
English to Russian
Aug 30, 2007

Hello,

I'm curious about tax matters. I live in Belarus and I need to open a bank account to receive money from my client from France. This is going to be my first translation project for a foreign company. And they are paying 1000$ for the project.

Do I have to be registered as an entrepreneur in order to pay taxes? I don't know what is the first step to do?

Can somebody please clear this out for me.
Thanks.

Katherina

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:52
English to German
+ ...
Post in the Russian forum? Aug 31, 2007

Hi Katherine,
Have you considered re-posting this in the Russian forum (in Russian, of course)?

Best, Ralf

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If it's just one project, you don't Aug 31, 2007

Because the Civil Code (Art. 1, part 1, para. 1) says that enterpreneurship is “independent activity of legal and natural persons... for systematic aquisition of profit...”. So, for just one time, you'll have to simply show your income to the Ministry of Taxes and Duties.

However, many Belarusian freelancers simply open accounts in Russia.

Offtopic:
Ralf, why whould she post in the Russian forum and the Russian language? She's not from Russia, and not necessar
... See more
Because the Civil Code (Art. 1, part 1, para. 1) says that enterpreneurship is “independent activity of legal and natural persons... for systematic aquisition of profit...”. So, for just one time, you'll have to simply show your income to the Ministry of Taxes and Duties.

However, many Belarusian freelancers simply open accounts in Russia.

Offtopic:
Ralf, why whould she post in the Russian forum and the Russian language? She's not from Russia, and not necessarily is Russian.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:52
English to German
+ ...
Potentially more responses Aug 31, 2007

Hi esperantisto,
Ralf, why whould she post in the Russian forum and the Russian language? She's not from Russia, and not necessarily is Russian.

The thinking behind it was that there may well be members familiar with the situation who might not necessarily be actively following English-language forums.

Best regards,
Ralf

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
really funny Aug 31, 2007

Cat works in English to Russian language pair
So she can speak the language.

However I really wonder how English speaking colleagues could help her? I don't think they are familiar with taxation in Bielorussia.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 14:28]

Rosanna Palermo
Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
Italian to English

You need to call a finance advisor in your country Aug 31, 2007

Katherine Nagui wrote:

Hello,

I'm curious about tax matters. I live in Belarus and I need to open a bank account to receive money from my client from France. This is going to be my first translation project for a foreign company. And they are paying 1000$ for the project.

Do I have to be registered as an entrepreneur in order to pay taxes? I don't know what is the first step to do?

Can somebody please clear this out for me.
Thanks.

Katherina

Many finance advisors will give you a free initial consultation session. Call one up.
In the US, ANY income is taxable. Your country I am sure will have different laws.
Just remember that these days, technolgy is such that the government can access your banking records and if they find "weird" deposits/transfers you may be not only liable for taxes on the money but penalties as well.
Also, if the company that is paying you reports your work as an expense and they get audited by the government, this may be yet another way for you to end up in trouble.
Find out what the law in your country is..quick!
)

katenagui
katenagui
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
belarussian laws Aug 31, 2007

Thank you guys for your replies. Yesterday i was trying to find something about paying taxes in Belarus. Our taxation system seems to be crazy, cause.... hmmm... it seems like translators who are self-employed have to pay 40% tax. This sounds insane for me, and I think it's a good idea to consult a lawyer...

Irina Romanova-Wasike
Irina Romanova-Wasike
Russian Federation
English to Russian
In support of Ralf's suggestion. Sep 1, 2007

I really think posting in a Russian forum would help. There are many colleagues from Belarus who could share their experiences.
Generally all taxation systems are crazy... 40% don't surprise me at all. Here we pay 30% income tax plus 10% to National Security fund (refundable as pension at the age of 55!) plus 17% VAT (refundable after going into a lot of trouble!).

So you see...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BELARUS: Should a translator be registered as an entrepreneur and pay taxes?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »