Mobile menu

hourly rate for a language project
Thread poster: namadgi
namadgi
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
+ ...
Sep 8, 2007

Hi,
I have been asked by a US company to provide an hourly rate for a language project taking 20 to 60 hours. The project involves compiling a word list (a couple of hundred words) that are culturally and politically sensitive and/or offensive terms in my language, classifying them on the basis of various criteria, and providing a written explanation in English of their use, the context they could or could not be used and so on.

The language I will be working on is a South Asian language.

This is the first task being offered to me by this agency, and I have been asked to provide my hourly rate for the project. I am highly qualified to do this project and have done many such projects as a linguist/academic for years, although I have never done similar projects for a traslating agengy for money. Therefore I have no clue as to how much I should quote. While I like to get the job, I do not want to undersell just to get the job. So, any suggestions? Thank you.

[Edited at 2007-09-08 12:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:38
English to Russian
check this thread Sep 8, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/82561

Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 10:38
Vietnamese
+ ...
But what the reason is? Sep 11, 2007

I do not think that it is simple like someone's clarification:

rate/word * words/hr = rate/hour

If it is only like that, I will quote the rate/word and my productivity/date/24hrs.

There could be a hidden reason from the Client!!?? Do they want to check how much a translator can ern in a month?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:38
English to German
+ ...
Reasons for hourly billing Sep 11, 2007

Hi Phong Le,

There could be a hidden reason from the Client!!?? Do they want to check how much a translator can ern in a month?

Why would that be relevant to an outsourcer?

There are certain jobs where volume-based billing (per word, line, etc.) is inappropriate, as it wouldn't adequately reflect the work provided.

Best regards,
Ralf

Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:38
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
agree Sep 14, 2007

Phong Le wrote:

I do not think that it is simple like someone's clarification:

rate/word * words/hr = rate/hour

If it is only like that, I will quote the rate/word and my productivity/date/24hrs.

I agree. and I belive that it depends to the kind of job as well. Some works you don't need to do so much research etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hourly rate for a language project

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs