Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2007

I've been expecting a wire transfer from Spain to Mexico. I've been assured by the agency that the transfer was made on the last Friday of the month, August 31. As yet nothing has arrived.
Does anyone know how long a wire transfer takes, more or less, between these countries?

Thanks.

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:44
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
3 to 5 Working Days Sep 10, 2007

Hi patyjs,
As a comparison, any international wire transfer is always credited to my account in just 3 to 5 working days.

Best Regards

Hipyan

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:44
English to German
+ ...
Three days Sep 10, 2007

For me, 3 business days has been the norm for international wire transfers so far. However, a transfer I made from Switzerland to the U.S. was credited to that company's account the same day!

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Recomend Paypal or Moneybookers Sep 10, 2007

I know: high fees!

But very helpful for international transactions.

Good luck with the payment stuff,

Maria Isabel

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-10 22:51]

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 14:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe Sep 10, 2007

At most wed. 12 sept. should be the limit.

good luck,

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Don't know, but... Sep 10, 2007

patyjs wrote:
Does anyone know how long a wire transfer takes, more or less, between these countries?

No I don't. But my bank holds on to the money until I specifrically ask for it... only then do they initiate the process of transferring it from their holding account to my account (and even that may take several days).

golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just a guess Sep 10, 2007

My bank here always tells me that I must take the contact up with the sending party.
Further, they can/will do nothing.
But usually, a wire transfer, assuming it is through most western financial institutions (some third world countries may be the exception) the transfer should usually be placed over in within 3 or 4 business days.
With western union, it can be the same day, but no one does this as it is expensive.

Matthew Emery
Matthew Emery
Local time: 18:44
German to English
up to 7 days Sep 10, 2007

It all depends but I would say no more than 7 working days. Contact the company again to check they have actually transferred the money.

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:44
Spanish to French
+ ...
From my experience... Sep 10, 2007

It can take up to 11 days from the day your client sends the wire order to the bank to the day the money appears in your account - that is from a US account to...a US account!!! (yeah, you read this right).
Bear in mind that for wires, banks often use a proxy. For instance, I once had to send money from France to Colombia. The money went through a third bank in New York, which translates into higher fees and more delays...

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
7 days max Sep 10, 2007

In my experience never more than 7 days, except in cases when something went wrong (ie : the correspondant bank held on to the $$, or the wrong acct info was typed in .....)

If you don't have anything by Wed/Thurs this week, then ask the agency to get the MT103 report from their bank and send it to you, with that document you can have your bank trace it.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'd be worried ... Sep 10, 2007

I'm surprised that people say that it can take 7 days. Normally, I regularly get transfers from Mexico to my account here in the US, and I even had the experience of a client telling me that she'd just asked the bank to send it, and when I checked my bank account (a minute later), there it was!

So, I'd be concerned for sure, although perhaps there's some special problem when transferring between Spain--Mexico.

Good luck!

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Not longer than 10 days Sep 10, 2007

I would check with the client. The payment should have come by now. Ask to see a scanned copy of the receipt they must have got from the bank, if you think they are not being honest with you.

Just a comment to Maria Isabels suggestion:
PayPal or Moneybookers is not the answer, if you want to get the money fast. Of course, with PP/MB you will be noticed immediately when you get paid, but to be able use the money (buy food, pay the rent etc.) , you must first withdraw it to your
... See more
I would check with the client. The payment should have come by now. Ask to see a scanned copy of the receipt they must have got from the bank, if you think they are not being honest with you.

Just a comment to Maria Isabels suggestion:
PayPal or Moneybookers is not the answer, if you want to get the money fast. Of course, with PP/MB you will be noticed immediately when you get paid, but to be able use the money (buy food, pay the rent etc.) , you must first withdraw it to your bank account, which can take 5-7 days.
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
From/to Sep 10, 2007

From the US (experience with Italy, Belgium, GB and Russia) - same day, sometimes just a couple of hours if sent before 11 am. Disclaimer - I use a local credit union bank, I've heard that some larger US banks take longer. To the US - 2-3 days from the same countries but 1 hour from Riga, Latvia. In any case - since Aug 31 is too long. I suspect it depends on how long the sending bank processes the request, the actual wire is a matter of minutes/hours.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 03:44
Italian to English
Internal company transfer errors Sep 10, 2007

Hi. Once I did a BIG job from Italy for a major American company. Their wire transfer took many weeks to reach my Italian bank account and after numerous phone calls and faxes to the company for explanations and/or prompts, all I got was "we had internal co. transfer problems.............".

Rob

[Edited at 2007-09-10 22:50]

[Edited at 2007-09-10 22:52]

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
15 days, no more. Sep 10, 2007

Sometimes I have to wait for about 15 days but my payment appears.

Note:

If your payment does not arrive in 15 working days, you must contact your bank.

Regards.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long for a wire transfer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »