editing/re-writing
Thread poster: Deborah James
Deborah James
Deborah James  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
French to English
Dec 17, 2001

Could anyone give me an idea of how much to charge for editing /re-writing ? Thanks

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Editing- charge by the hour Dec 18, 2001

Hi Deborah,

The most common way to charge editing jobs is by the hour. Now, how much you should charge depends on the quality of the translation you\'re working on, technical difficulty, your credentials and several other variables. The metrics used varies too: some agencies use the 1000 words/hour metrics when they assign you the job so that they have an idea of how much the job is going to turn out to be. I often find that 1000/hour is impracticable because of the mumbo ju
... See more
Hi Deborah,

The most common way to charge editing jobs is by the hour. Now, how much you should charge depends on the quality of the translation you\'re working on, technical difficulty, your credentials and several other variables. The metrics used varies too: some agencies use the 1000 words/hour metrics when they assign you the job so that they have an idea of how much the job is going to turn out to be. I often find that 1000/hour is impracticable because of the mumbo jumbo in find in the translated text. If you can squeeze your client, try to go for 500 words an hour. If you don\'t charge high for the editing, you will probably kick yourself for taking the job midway through, because it\'s usually a very time-consumming task that requires the utmost attention and skill.

Cheers,

ME
Collapse

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
editing fees Dec 22, 2001

I agree with Maria regarding editing. Another helpful hint is when you and the company or agency agree on how much time it would take you to edit the translation, call them when the editing is going to exceed the agreed time. Or what\'s even better is call when you first start the project and you realize that the translation is of a poor quality. I have had experiences in which the editing time way exceeded the agreed time (due to the quality of the translation) and I did not talk to the agen... See more
I agree with Maria regarding editing. Another helpful hint is when you and the company or agency agree on how much time it would take you to edit the translation, call them when the editing is going to exceed the agreed time. Or what\'s even better is call when you first start the project and you realize that the translation is of a poor quality. I have had experiences in which the editing time way exceeded the agreed time (due to the quality of the translation) and I did not talk to the agency that hired me (all I was thinking was to finish the editing job). The agency did not believe that it took that long to do the editing. I went through a lot to convince them (no one in the agency spoke my working languages), and got paid for my work.Collapse

Deborah James
Deborah James  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your very useful information- a great help/appreciated Dec 30, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-18 21:12, farre wrote:

Hi Deborah,

The most common way to charge editing jobs is by the hour. Now, how much you should charge depends on the quality of the translation you\'re working on, technical difficulty, your credentials and several other variables. The metrics used varies too: some agencies use the 1000 words/hour metrics when they assign you the job so that they have an idea of how muc... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-18 21:12, farre wrote:

Hi Deborah,

The most common way to charge editing jobs is by the hour. Now, how much you should charge depends on the quality of the translation you\'re working on, technical difficulty, your credentials and several other variables. The metrics used varies too: some agencies use the 1000 words/hour metrics when they assign you the job so that they have an idea of how much the job is going to turn out to be. I often find that 1000/hour is impracticable because of the mumbo jumbo in find in the translated text. If you can squeeze your client, try to go for 500 words an hour. If you don\'t charge high for the editing, you will probably kick yourself for taking the job midway through, because it\'s usually a very time-consumming task that requires the utmost attention and skill.

Cheers,

ME

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

editing/re-writing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »