Mobile menu

Off topic: The lowest commercial price per page you ever agreed to translate for?
Thread poster: tiranuz
tiranuz

English to Russian
Sep 20, 2007

The question is to all translators (especially the ones with RUS-ENGL pair)

What is the lowest commercial price paid per page you ever agreed to work for ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
0 Sep 21, 2007

In EnglishSpanish, of course.

I have been known to do translations free in some cases, for the good of society.

The rest I charge for, for the benefit of my own economy.

Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to French
+ ...
per page? Sep 21, 2007

I think many of us don't charge per page, but per word, or per line.

It would be impossible for me to say how much I charge per page: you can have, I guess, between 200 and 500 words per page, more or less? Or sometimes 40, if there are tables and graphics...

tiranuz

English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Please note Sep 21, 2007

Please note that I use the term COMMERCIAL PRICE in the question posted.

Free translation is off-topic since I consider it to be a "non-commercial price"

Thanks

Henry Hinds wrote:

In EnglishSpanish, of course.

I have been known to do translations free in some cases, for the good of society.

The rest I charge for, for the benefit of my own economy.

Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:14
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
CAN $ 20.00 / page Sep 21, 2007

This is what certain government bodies in Ontario pay their translators for translation of one page - of course the number of words on that page can vary greatly.

It never made sense to me. I could make the same amount for translation of the picture page of a driver's license as for translation of one page of a will with many lines on that page.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:14
Flemish to English
+ ...
Social security translations Sep 21, 2007

0.04 eurocents p.w.: I considered this file of a criminal case as a kind of social-security translation. It was not too difficult and once you had the forms of the police, you just had to translate on their templates. High volume for months and fast turnaround, because of easy vocabulary. Actually, it was something you could do as an extra beside normal translations.

Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 10:14
English to Russian
+ ...
sound mind + flexibility Sep 21, 2007

(flexibility = characterized by a ready capability to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements)
You might declare your rates as high as the Ritz but it’s you customer/outsourcer/agency who will corner you. Then it’s solely your decision whether to maintain it or subside.
It’s like oil or gas which virtually have no chance to be marked be it one buck or eighty per barrel unless there is a demand.
One of my recent jobs paid me as little as $ 18/page (average is 350 words/page) which was the lowest over the last 3 years.

Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 00:14
English to German
+ ...
Mistake in quote Sep 21, 2007

Williamson wrote:

0.04 eurocents p.w.: I considered this file of a criminal case as a kind of social-security translation. It was not too difficult and once you had the forms of the police, you just had to translate on their templates. High volume for months and fast turnaround, because of easy vocabulary. Actually, it was something you could do as an extra beside normal translations.

Surely not 0.04 eurocents, but 0.04 Euro.

Olav

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Eur 0.01 / word Sep 21, 2007

I was offered a translation of a user guide, a revised version of one I had previously translated, and the customer was happy with my existing terminology. It had over 95% repetition.

It was a very quick and easy job, the customer was satisfied, and that day I earned more money from this low-price job than I would have from a normal translation at my usual rates, which are at least 10 times that price, usually more.

It was a win-win situation - I earned good money, the customer got a good deal.

Just goes to show that price per word or per page is often irrelevant - what really matters is how much you earn per day.

So I think you should really be asking:

What is the lowest commercial price paid per hour/day/week you ever agreed to work for ?

Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Page Sep 21, 2007

I assume the page under discussion here is the so called "standard page" quite a lot of agencies in Eastern Europe and, probably, Middle Asia use in their calculations. This may vary from 1200 characters with spaces to 2500 without spaces. (At least, this is what I personally encountered).

[Редактировалось 2007-09-21 10:41]

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Rs. 300/day + official pick-and-drop vehicle Sep 21, 2007

That was what Government of India paid me as a translator/ broadcaster with AIR. But it was fun and obviously passing the translation and voice test for All India Radio has a prestige attached to it.

And no, I learnt you were not supposed to call the official vehicle a cab. A cab is for call centres. Here you are an employee of the President of India (at least that's what my contracts said)

That was how I was corrected when I called the "official vehicle" a cab!!!

I loved the job and the people but not the payment.

A day meant 2-2 1/2 hour job, you could return after that.

p.s.: INR 300 = 5.4 Euros

[Edited at 2007-09-21 17:24]

tiranuz

English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
is it me or... Sep 24, 2007

some russian and kazakh agencies offer $3 per page (1800 signs without spaces)...

even for a highly technical translation. it turns out 0.0016 of a cent per word.

...i wonder is it just me or is this really a miserable price?

Katia Gygax  Identity Verified
French to Russian
+ ...
Your are right Sep 24, 2007

Timur Narkuziev wrote:

some russian and kazakh agencies offer $3 per page (1800 signs without spaces)...

even for a highly technical translation. it turns out 0.0016 of a cent per word.

It is a miserable price. Do not accept it if you can. Sorry for being direct.

Stanislav Korobov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOO little! Sep 27, 2007

Timur Narkuziev wrote:

Timur, this is TOO little! Even for post-Soviet agencies… I am currently dealing with one Russian agency which does pay $5 per page, and I am absolutely sure this is CERTAINLY little!

Igor Anikeev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
That's too little for a Russian to English translation Oct 3, 2007

Timur,

I prefer the local agencies to pay in Rubles. And that makes 400 rubles --- if it's not a rush job --- per standard page (1800 chars with spaces and punctuation). Which, in turn, is about 0.06 Euro per word.

The lowest price was 200 rubles per page, but I never do that any more

Igor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The lowest commercial price per page you ever agreed to translate for?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs