Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.

Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 21, 2007

Hi guys,

I have been requested by a client to create an account in Google Checkout so they could send me payment through it. Now, I browsed through the website and came up with two questions. First, does it operate in the same way as Moneybookers, in terms of withdrawing funds to your bank? Or, do you have to make a refund to your credit card? Second, it seems to cover practically all countries around the globe except Egypt! Is that really plausible or is it some sort of mistake?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

NativeArabic  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
No it is not Sep 22, 2007

Hi Noha,

I have checked google checkout after you posted your question and, as far as I see it, it is not like moneybookers. It enables your customers to pay you using their credit cards but it does not allow people to send moeny to each other using their email addresses like moneybookers or paypal. The important point here is that it supports 140 countries in terms of sending only. To open a merchant account and receive payments, you should be based in the USA or the UK only and should have a bank account there so that the money would go directly to your bank account.

HTH

Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It useless then Sep 22, 2007

Thank you, Abdulrahman, for taking the time to do this. I just wanted to make sure I had got it down correctly, and you just confirmed every word I suspected. Well, I guess one thing is left to say: Vive Moneybookers)

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some notes Sep 22, 2007

Noha Kamal wrote:
I have been requested by a client to create an account in Google Checkout so they could send me payment through it.

Looks good. One problem, though, is that it uses credit cards. So the client can do a charge-back if he's nasty.

Second, it seems to cover practically all countries around the globe except Egypt! Is that really plausible or is it some sort of mistake?

As far as I can tell, you can only receive money if you're in the US or the UK.

If you want a service that allows people to pay you via credit card, try Setcom.com (looks like Egypt is kosher there). If the client just wants to pay via credit card, then it shouldn't make a difference to them which intermezzo you are using.

Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
High cost Sep 22, 2007

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the piece of news. I certainly never heard of Setcom. I have to admit, though, I was pretty disappointed to know that I have to pay 0.5% + 0.3 USD to receive money if sent from a credit card!!! Dah? Why should I? I receive money for free through Moneybookers! Well, I still say, vive Moneybookers Thanks, though, Samuel!

BR
Noha

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nothing is free Sep 23, 2007

Noha Kamal wrote:
I was pretty disappointed to know that I have to pay 0.5% + 0.3 USD to receive money if sent from a credit card!!! Dah? Why should I? I receive money for free through Moneybookers!

You're not really receiving money free through Moneybookers. Somewhere, someone has to pay. Whether it is you or the client -- someone always pays. So, if you don't want to pay 0,5% + USD 0,30, why not just tack that onto your bill to the client?

Personally I would find even 2% transaction fee to be very little and quite acceptable, so I don't know what you're complaining about. Raising your rate by 2% should solve it. Say, "my rate is XYZ USD + 2% (for bank costs)".

Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are totally right Sep 23, 2007

Aaaaaaaaaaah, clients are pretty stingy these days, if you ask me. I have a client who is paying me 500 bucks but insists that I pay the 2% fees, which is a mere 10 bucks in that case! Can you believe that! Anyway, thanks, Samuel

naroqueen
I'm stuck :S Apr 10, 2009

now I need to share in a virtual conference "CloudSlam09" and when it comes to payement I only have 2 options to pay either with paypal or google checkout... and neither support payement from Egypt... WHAT SHALL I DO :'(

[Edited at 2009-04-10 11:14 GMT]

Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 15:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
You can pay with Google Checkout fromEgypt Apr 10, 2009

naroqueen wrote:

now I need to share in a virtual conference "CloudSlam09" and when it comes to payement I only have 2 options to pay either with paypal or google checkout... and neither support payement from Egypt... WHAT SHALL I DO :'(

[Edited at 2009-04-10 11:14 GMT]

If you have a credit card, you can register with Google Checkout [http://www.checkout.google.com] using such credit card. After that, you will be able to pay for anything on the web accepting payment via Google Checkout.

Currently, anyone from any country can pay using Google Checkout, but only people from few countries (USA, Canada and UK, as far as I know) can get paid via Google Checkout.

As you may know, PayPal service does not cover Egypt at present.

Best regards

Waleed

naroqueen
Thanks Apr 10, 2009

Thanks very much for the reply... it was useful.. but the problem happened to be that they don't accept payments from outside USA :S :S but thanks anyway...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Checkout

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs