krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Local time: 20:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2003

Hello everybody,

I do not know whether my question is in the correct section.

I would like to know how I will be paid if I complete a translation. I am residing in INDIA. Usually the translations in this site are from almost all countries. So, please let me know how to go about it. What is the process of getting paid if I work from here for a translation in foreign country.

regards,

aikokujin

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:13
English to German
+ ...
Agree payment with your customer Feb 10, 2003

Hi - I\'m afraid there is no standard answer to this. As a freelance translator, you\'re an independent entrepreneur - this includes some consideration as to how you will be able to receive payment, and which option is most attractive to you. Possible means of payment include:

- bank transfer (check the fees deducted for cross-border payments!);

- cheque (again, check what fees are charged for cashing in foreign cheques);

- credit card (probably not a beg
... See more
Hi - I\'m afraid there is no standard answer to this. As a freelance translator, you\'re an independent entrepreneur - this includes some consideration as to how you will be able to receive payment, and which option is most attractive to you. Possible means of payment include:

- bank transfer (check the fees deducted for cross-border payments!);

- cheque (again, check what fees are charged for cashing in foreign cheques);

- credit card (probably not a beginner\'s option...);

- alternative payment systems such as PayPal (don\'t take this as a recommendation - there are mixed opinions about this particular one);

- ProZ.com wallet (only for Platinum members - read the FAQ regarding the restrictions and fees involved).

Depending on your market position, you may want to have more than one option available, to facilitate business.

Whatever you agree regarding payment, make sure to check on unknown customers before starting work - there are various web lists where translators share experience (ProZ.com Blue Board, TCR, PP, ...).

HTH - good luck, Ralf
Collapse

nimrodtran
nimrodtran
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And the taxes... Feb 14, 2003

Your client has to be aware about which kind of tax treaties exist between his/their country and India, in order to avoid double taxation.

Make sure your client does not deduct any monies for taxes in HIS country.

Regards,

Emilio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please let me know how I will be paid

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »