For those of you who have pursued collection in the US
Thread poster: Caroline Moreno
Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2007

...were you able to add fees to the total for the time you spent on the collection efforts and any other costs associated with them (postage, faxes, long distance calls, etc.)? I'm just wondering if I could legally add these costs to the total amount of the invoice. Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
I doubt it Sep 25, 2007

If you have a contract detailing such costs in case of default and take them to court and get a judgment it is possible to be awarded costs of collection, attorneys' fees and the like, but in a simple collection effort without such a contract I sincerely doubt it.

I'm no lawyer, but I understand all those items should be spelled out in a contract from the beginning (including late interest, etc.). Otherwise you are lucky if you get paid anything at all, even of what you were owed in the first place.

Plus if you get a judgment in court, that does not mean they will pay it. Getting execution is a further proceeding, that is if the debtor has not absconded and has any attachable assets (good luck there).

Moral: On doubtful clients, get payment up front.

Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 25, 2007

...again Henry for the helpful information and advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For those of you who have pursued collection in the US

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums