Thread poster: Marie Lauzon

Marie Lauzon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:01
Member (2003)
English to French
Feb 11, 2003

Hello,

My second post on this subject - and my apologies to all for naming the client in my previous topic.

I would like to request recommendations for names of lawyers or collection companies in Dublin.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada. One of my clients in Dublin owes me almost EUR10,000. I know Dublin for having lived there a year, and am able to go on-site if needed.

More detail: The translation company has been my client for about 9 months. I send statements monthly. They have been less than proficient with payments (only 2) and regularly ignore my emails, although I politely request answers. The last payment was obtained by threatening to withold delivery of a large project. That email was not ignored, and partial payment was wired. The whole process was accompanied by many excuses (email system down, confusion of responsabilities as to whom should answer, cannot wire because will have to pay VAT...).

Now a large amount is due this week, and again my emails are not acknowledged. I am hoping for the best, but also preparing for the worst.

The client is mentioned on the Payment Practices list as 1)Paying, but very late and following much correspondence and 2)Not paying.

This is an appeal to translators with some experience or knowledge of what action would work! Judging from private answers and research, this information will be useful to other translators as well following trouble with this or other translation companies.

Please do not name clients in your replies to this post.

Thanks

Marie

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:01
English to German
+ ...
Exemplary posting Feb 12, 2003

Hi Marie,

Thanks for posting a difficult issue in a very neutral way that is 100% consistent with forum rules.

Best of luck in your pursuit...

Ralf

Canada
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Feb 12, 2003

I wish my client was as diplomatic!

Canada
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Paid... well, almost! May 26, 2003

Thanks to all who answered privately with offers for help and advice.

This client paid under pressure, and there remains only one bill, and not for a very large amount.

The solution to this problem has been to be frank, polite and firm. Alerting the client as to the fact that they had had 2 negative comments on PP_list also helped, adding that I would be glad to post a positive comment myself... (a diplomatic, implied warning).

Cheers

Marie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for collectors / lawyers in Ireland - Preparing for battle

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs