Thread poster: Michaela Bordessoule
Michaela Bordessoule
Michaela Bordessoule
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 1, 2007

I translated a contract and for another subsequent ones I was paid only for a new words, when the agency tracked the changes because I do not have TRADOS. Because the final paymant was quite low, the agency sugested to pay additional hourly rate for the contracts which needed substantial deletions etc. The final payment was than about 2/3 from the payment otherwise summed up for a total number of words. Any similar experince?

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Updated versions Oct 1, 2007

It's not entirely clear - are you talking about updates to a contract you've already translated in the past?

I suspect you mean you're only being paid (not charged) for new words?

If so - leaving the Trados arguments aside - you can't really be expected to earn full word count again. That said, it should all have been clarified at the outset. What was your agreement?

I can't comment on your specific case because we don't have all the facts but updating co
... See more
It's not entirely clear - are you talking about updates to a contract you've already translated in the past?

I suspect you mean you're only being paid (not charged) for new words?

If so - leaving the Trados arguments aside - you can't really be expected to earn full word count again. That said, it should all have been clarified at the outset. What was your agreement?

I can't comment on your specific case because we don't have all the facts but updating contracts is something I typically charge for on an hourly basis, unless the amendments essentially amount to a rewrite of the source text. I personally hate track changes and this is where a CAT tool is really invaluable and would save you time.

Main thing - for future reference - is to make sure you're not out of pocket for the actual time you spend.

Whether I'm translating, working on updates, editing or proofreading, I aim to make the same per hour, regardless of how the project is actually priced. At the end of the day we are charging for our time, no matter what the job entails.

Best of luck
Debs

[Edited at 2007-10-01 17:54]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 01:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The question to answer is: do I get paid for my time? Oct 1, 2007

Whether I'm translating, working on updates, editing or proofreading, I aim to make the same per hour, regardless of how the project is actually priced. At the end of the day we are charging for our time, no matter what the job entails.

++

Since some time now I have been using the word counts only to gauge what the time spent on them will be - or, what slows me down on some texts and what kid of texts are a piece of cake.

[Edited at 2007-10-01 19:26]

Michaela Bordessoule
Michaela Bordessoule
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hourly rate Oct 1, 2007

Hi, thanks for an idea. How do you then calculate your hourly rate when not working as an in-house translator or doing subtitling?

[Edited at 2007-10-01 19:36]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Use the rates calculator Oct 1, 2007

...to be found under the Jobs menu.

Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:51
German to English
+ ...
number of average words per hour times rate Oct 1, 2007

From what I could see from the rates calculator, it doesn't include an indication on hourly rates, but the rates you should be charging to achieve a certain income level...
I think the best way to charge by the hour is simply to multiply your average output per hour times the rate. If the text (either the substance or form) looks as though you may need extra time, then the rate can be adjusted accordingly.

I work quite quickly and don't charge rock-bottom rates, so I have quit
... See more
From what I could see from the rates calculator, it doesn't include an indication on hourly rates, but the rates you should be charging to achieve a certain income level...
I think the best way to charge by the hour is simply to multiply your average output per hour times the rate. If the text (either the substance or form) looks as though you may need extra time, then the rate can be adjusted accordingly.

I work quite quickly and don't charge rock-bottom rates, so I have quite a high hourly rate, but I have never had anyone balk at paying it (that said I prefer to charge by output quantity).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being charged only for new words?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »