https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/8546-does_charging_for_tm_matches_depend_on_ownership_of_tm.html

Does charging for TM matches depend on ownership of TM?
Thread poster: Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ralph Jung
Ireland
Local time: 09:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 12, 2003

Hi,

There are quite a few forum threads about charging for TM matches with different percentages and rates.

What I\'m missing is the aspect of ownership. My question:

-If you own the TM that you use for a translation, do you also give discounts?

There are two \'moral\' views I can think of:

1. The client is receiving a translation that they didn\'t own before and which is new to them, so they should pay 100% per segment.

2. Y
... See more
Hi,

There are quite a few forum threads about charging for TM matches with different percentages and rates.

What I\'m missing is the aspect of ownership. My question:

-If you own the TM that you use for a translation, do you also give discounts?

There are two \'moral\' views I can think of:

1. The client is receiving a translation that they didn\'t own before and which is new to them, so they should pay 100% per segment.

2. You benefit from work you have already done, probably for another client. You should apply discounts, depending on the match.

If you agree to deliver the resulting TM (or at least the portion that relates to the assignment) along with an \'uncleaned\' translated document, the client will be able to see that there were 100% matches... how would you proceed?

Cheers,

- R a l p h -
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:36
English to German
+ ...
I believe that's irrelevant... Feb 13, 2003

I only apply a reduced weigthing to matches (actually, not just for 100% matches) if the comparison is made against a translation which we have done before, for the same customer.

I don\'t usually work for agencies: as a result, I never deliver uncleaned files. Looking at it the other way round - I only expect freelancers to apply discounts if I have delivered a suitable project TM; if they happen to have matches in their TMs, that\'s their efficiency gain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does charging for TM matches depend on ownership of TM?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »