Mobile menu

Rates for Copywriting and Creating a Brand Platform?
Thread poster: David Lavie

David Lavie
United States
Local time: 04:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2007

I have been asked by a US-based marketing firm to create the name of a product (in Russian) for their client, a Russian food-and-beverage company. I have come up with a number of alternatives, and now, they'd like me to do a brand platform as well. An English-language product name and brand platform already exist.

I am primarily a translator, and primarily a literary one. I have also worked at an advertising agency some years prior.

The client likes my work so far, and the marketing firm would like to sign a contract. Does anyone have any idea what I could charge? A range, perhaps?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gennady Pritsker

Direct link Reply with quote

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Different profession Oct 4, 2007

I've worked with a brand naming company before for the creative process, and it's really a lot of fun. Through my experience with them I was able to see all the lesser known details that are required in the brand naming process.

Without questioning your qualifications, experience or creativity, this US company really should not be cutting corners by contacting a translator for the brand platform.
Brand naming is a whole different profession, and whereas many brand naming companies can employ creative translators to dream up names for multilingual markets, that's not where the job ends.
For example, out of a list of 200 names perhaps only 5 will be viable after researching the national/international databases of registered copyrights for intellectual property. Also the researcher really has to know what he's doing to be able to check the appropriate categories and similar matches.

I can only tell you a range used by brand naming professionals for a brand platform, and even then it varies from country to country.
10 000 - 30 000 euros/dollars
To make sure you're in line with your local market, I suggest you make some calls to local agencies and see how much they charge.

Just remember, part of the cost is the creation and research, but the rest is also them purchasing your name's copyright. You made it, it's yours, and they can't use it until they've bought the license from you.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Copywriting and Creating a Brand Platform?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs