copy-editing fees
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2007

I have been working on a translation project which is now turning into a copy-editing job, too. I have been asked to propose a rate for the copy-editing on a per word basis, and told that my translation rate could be used if I want.

Is there a big difference between the rates for translation and copy-editing?

Any advice?

Thanks, everyone.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The rate is the same Oct 6, 2007

patyjs wrote:

The hourly rate is the same.

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
depends on the level of editing Oct 6, 2007

patyjs wrote:

Any advice?

Thanks, everyone.

Hi, Paty!

I edit professionally, and I can tell you that I make much less on my editing projects than I do on translation, so if your client is willing to pay your translation rate, you should accept that.

There are different levels of editing (and they can be paid at different rates, usually by a per-page amount).

First is developmental editing, when the editor helps the author conceptualize the book (this is often negotiated as a lump-sum payment, and if it takes the editor months to get the author on the right track, the editor can really lose out financially).

The next level is copyediting, which has two levels, substantive and mechanical. These are often combined and paid at a per-page rate. If there is a need to do a lot of substantive editing (querying the author, going back and forth to rewrite passages, etc., the editor again runs the risk of losing money -- or doing a less than thorough job and losing the client!).

The last step is reading proofs, after the book is typeset. At a per page rate, it doesn't pay well, but I suppose that if a person were good at it (a fast reader with a great eye for typos), one might be able to turn enough pages in an hour to make a decent living.

So, you might want to make sure that you and the client both have the same level of editing in mind.

Good luck!
Patricia

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Patricia Oct 6, 2007

and Samuel.

The job is for a non-profit org. so my rates are quite low anyway. What I'm doing fits more into the second category that you outlined, going back and forth between documents to copy the English translations and paste them over the Spanish text in the target document.

The same rate as I'm charging for the translation sounds like a good bet.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

copy-editing fees

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs