Thread poster: Monia Di Martino

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Local time: 14:30
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2007

Hi everybody,
I have been asked by a translation agency to submit my daily rate for translation mostly IT > EN.
Maybe I am wrong but I've never heard about daily rates. I know about rates per word, per line, per page, per hour but not per day.
How much is this supposed to be?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
One way of working it out Oct 8, 2007

One way of working it out is:

1) take the average number of words that you translate per hour (eg: 350 words/hour)
2) take the average number of hours that you work per day (eg: 8 hours/day)
3) multiply 1x2 (eg: 350 words/hour x 8 hours/day = 2,800 words/day)
4) take your word rate (eg: USD100/word) [just kidding about the rates, fellas]
5) multiply 3 by your word rate (eg: 2,800words/day x USD100/word = USD22,400 per day)

Here you go: your daily rate would be USD22,400.

Of course, you might have to consider some other factors, such as if you have to travel to your customer's premises.

I hope this helps.
Good luck,
Jerónimo

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
8 x rate per hour , or 2000 x rate per word Oct 8, 2007

Have you asked them why they ask for a daily rate ? Maybe they want you to translate on the client site ? In this case you should also get pay for extra travel expenses.

To calculate your daily rate you should estimate how much words/lines/pages you translate per hour and multiply by 8 , supposing your usual working day is 8 hours.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
different approach Oct 8, 2007

I'd take my maximum (not average) monthly income and divide that by 20 to get my rate per day.

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Oct 8, 2007

nordiste wrote:

Have you asked them why they ask for a daily rate ? Maybe they want you to translate on the client site ? In this case you should also get pay for extra travel expenses.

To calculate your daily rate you should estimate how much words/lines/pages you translate per hour and multiply by 8 , supposing your usual working day is 8 hours.

Hi nordiste,
no, I don't have to translate on the client site but thank you for your system of calculation, that is more or lessm Jeronimo's system only he's been more detailed
I was just wondering how many working hours should one count in a day.

Thak you too Jeronimo, really helpful, I couln't ask for more

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I'd take my maximum (not average) monthly income and divide that by 20 to get my rate per day.

It's not convenient to me Marie-Hélène, I don't get much from translations.

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:30
German to English
+ ...
Maybe Oct 8, 2007

what they really meant to ask was to provide you daily average output. In other words, how many words per day can you translate, on average.

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like Marie-Hélène's approach Oct 8, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

That's totally brilliant. Great idea, Marie-Hélène.

Monia Di Martino wrote:

Thak you too Jeronimo, really helpful, I couln't ask for more

My pleasure.

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

giselrike wrote:

what they really meant to ask was to provide you daily average output. In other words, how many words per day can you translate, on average.

No, it's just about money. I had already submitted my average output of words per day.

Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Daily rate = 8 hours Oct 8, 2007

Monia Di Martino wrote:

I was just wondering how many working hours should one count in a day.

I would count 8 hours a day and charge like this.

And if you are being paid on this basis, it could include within the 8 hours your lunch hour. (What I mean is, you charge for 8 hours with the above calculations, but you don't deduct breaks: bathroom, lunch, relaxing your eyes...)

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
If this is an on-line application form... Oct 8, 2007

that you're filling in to prospect for work then I don't think it matters too much what (reasonable) figure you put in.

You would probably negotiate the terms for each job they might offer you anyway.

Are any translation projects done on a per day basis? I don't think you need to worry unless it's a contract you're signing.

Best

Paty

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with you Oct 9, 2007

patyjs wrote:

that you're filling in to prospect for work then I don't think it matters too much what (reasonable) figure you put in.

You would probably negotiate the terms for each job they might offer you anyway.

Are any translation projects done on a per day basis? I don't think you need to worry unless it's a contract you're signing.

Best

Paty

I think that's the way it is.

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Oct 9, 2007

Heidi C wrote:

I would count 8 hours a day and charge like this.

And if you are being paid on this basis, it could include within the 8 hours your lunch hour. (What I mean is, you charge for 8 hours with the above calculations, but you don't deduct breaks: bathroom, lunch, relaxing your eyes...)

Sounds good, thank you.

Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Question for Marie and another comment Oct 9, 2007

Marie, just wondering, why 20?

*Also, if you need to or choose to work more than 8 hours a day, you could have an overtime rate, or a rush job rate. That way it makes it more worth the extra time you're putting into the work and taking out of your own "free time." So, consider this when determining your daily rate. HTH!

Monia Di Martino
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Caroline Oct 10, 2007

I think Marie meant 20 working days/month.

Also considering the extra time is a good point, but as Paty said, I think they just want me to give an average amount per day to negotiate afterwards.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

daily rate for translation

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs