Mobile menu

How to charge for Logoport repetitions
Thread poster: Carole Hognestad
Carole Hognestad
Local time: 02:09
Norwegian to English
Oct 22, 2007

I have a big job coming up in Logoport. There is a high number of repetitions for which the client says I will only be paid 10% of my standard rate. As I understand it these repetitions are separate from the full and partial matches quoted in the Logoport analysis. I understand about only being paid percentages for full and partial matches, which appear as pretranslations, but how can I only be paid 10% for words/terms that will not be pretranslated. The fact that they have already appeared in the text earlier is not an aid to me as I still have to read, translate and enter the correct text. Have I misunderstood something here?

[Edited at 2007-10-22 20:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
A little explanation about Logoport Oct 22, 2007

Carole Hognestad wrote:

I have a big job coming up in Logoport. There is a high number of repetitions for which the client says I will only be paid 10% of my standard rate. As I understand it these repetitions are separate from the full and partial matches quoted in the Logoport analysis.

That's right - Logoport's analysis log looks something like this (I mark the repetitions between double asterisk **):

Match Types---------Segments------Words-----Percent
Translated---------------0------------------0----------0
Context Match----------0------------------0----------0
**Repetitions-----------1-----------------4---------1.3**
Format Change---------0-----------------0-----------0
100%---------------------1-----------------1-----------0.3
95% - 99%--------------0-----------------0-----------0
85% - 94%--------------1----------------11-----------3.6
75% - 84%--------------0-----------------0------------0
50% - 74%--------------3----------------22-----------7.2
No Match----------------16----------------267--------87.5
Total---------------------22-----------------305----------100

(I actually took this from a project that I translated with Logoport last week.)

So, in my example, you'll see that there are 4 (four) repeated words.

I understand about only being paid percentages for full and partial matches, which appear as pretranslations, but how can I only be paid 10% for words/terms that will not be pretranslated. The fact that they have already appeared in the text earlier is not an aid to me as I still have to read, translate and enter the correct text. Have I misunderstood something here?

I will not argue about whether it's "right" or "wrong" to do (or accept) this, but you don't have to read, translate and enter the correct text: Repetitions work as 100% matches when you translate.

However, you (or somebody else) would need to check if the translation of those repetitions do make sense within context. I assume your customer suggests to pay 10% of your standard fee for you to check this.

[Edited at 2007-10-22 22:16]

René Stranz-Nikitin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:09
Czech to German
+ ...
Only 10% !!! Oct 23, 2007

Hi Carole,

Carole Hognestad wrote:

I have a big job coming up in Logoport. There is a high number of repetitions for which the client says I will only be paid 10% of my standard rate. As I understand it these repetitions are separate from the full and partial matches quoted in the Logoport analysis. I understand about only being paid percentages for full and partial matches, which appear as pretranslations, but how can I only be paid 10% for words/terms that will not be pretranslated. The fact that they have already appeared in the text earlier is not an aid to me as I still have to read, translate and enter the correct text. Have I misunderstood something here?

[Edited at 2007-10-22 20:23]

So it seems, they still try to get through the percentages for repetitions and 100 % matches worse and worse. What I get for jobs in Logoport is at least this:

Analyse Preismatrix in %
Wiederholungen 25 20%
Format Change 17 35%
100% 53 20%
95% - 99% 49 35%
85% - 94% 43 50%
75% - 84% 37 50%
50% - 74% 253 100%
Kein Match 867 100%
Gesamt 1 344

But I have a little bit higher word rate for jobs, where clients apply CAT-analysises. And be careful of the fact, that Logoport counts words as repetitions, that aren't even in the TM. It is crazy stuff.

Have a nice day,
René

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for Logoport repetitions

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs