Thread poster: Subhan Fakhrizada

Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:11
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Oct 24, 2007

Hello,

I have worked for an agency, and the agreement for the tens of thousand words was to be per word basis. I completed the job on time and delivered. However, since the original files were in old PDF format, could not be counted using word counter software, and the result is a difference of about 25000 words, between my count/estimate and his count/estimate.

He has paid about 75 percent of the due payment, but still he owe me considerable amount of money, even based on his word counts, he still owe me about $1000, even 6 months after the completion of project.

I have decided to go to the original owner of the documents, a leading US car manufacturing company, and clime the copyright ownership of the manual, as i have not been paid in full.

I would appreciate any suggestion/recommendation from colleagues.

Best

Direct link Reply with quote

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Why did you wait so long? Oct 25, 2007

Six months have passed already! Have you contacted a lawyer or a collection agency? This is a considerable amount of money, it would be worth it, don't you think?

However, what is the position of the outsourcer? Did he tell you why he hasn't paid the full amount yet? Were there quality issues?

As to your plan to involve the original client, the car manufacturer, I am not sure if this would be a good idea. Your contract was with the agency and not the direct client, after all.

Let's see what the others say to this...

Best wishes,
Carolin

Laurence Bourel
Local time: 16:11
English to French
+ ...
always check number of words beforehand Oct 25, 2007

I don't know recovery procedures in your country, but in the future, always check the number of words to avoid problem. If you can't have the nb of words in pdf files, try Abracadabracompteur which is a free software (already discussed in those forums). Or just copy paste the pdf in Word to have a wordcount with "Tools, Statistics".
Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your practice for recovery

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs