Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 23:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2001

Dear Pros,

what about clients that pay after 90 days BUT give continuos projects week after week?

Is this normal? I have been offered a project of this sort and still considering...

Flavio

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
90 days - unacceptable Dec 22, 2001

Hi colleague:

I do not know whether this is normal or not and I certainly think it\'s completely up to you whether you would want to accept the assignment. But if I were you, I would NOT accept this assignment because:

1) Why do they have to pay you in 90 days? I think the normal practice of 30 days is already too long. Why do you have to trust them but they don\'t trust you?

2) It sounds very tempting that you would have assignments week after week. However, wh
... See more
Hi colleague:

I do not know whether this is normal or not and I certainly think it\'s completely up to you whether you would want to accept the assignment. But if I were you, I would NOT accept this assignment because:

1) Why do they have to pay you in 90 days? I think the normal practice of 30 days is already too long. Why do you have to trust them but they don\'t trust you?

2) It sounds very tempting that you would have assignments week after week. However, what if they don\'t pay you as promised. That means, they owe you more and more money. From my personal experience, if a company or agency decides not to pay you (with no fault of your own), you would have to go through hell trying to get your money.

Good Luck!

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 17:58
German to English
+ ...
UNACCEPTABLE!!! Dec 22, 2001

Ninety days is absolutely unacceptable! You should not take on any additional assignments from them; instead, tell them that you will be available again as soon as they have settled all outstanding accounts. Be \"nice\" at first; if they show themselves to be unco-operative, start \"threatening\" them (late-payment interest charges, collection agency, publishing their name on TCR, etc.).

Personally, even if they paid all invoices now, I\'d never work for them again - they de
... See more
Ninety days is absolutely unacceptable! You should not take on any additional assignments from them; instead, tell them that you will be available again as soon as they have settled all outstanding accounts. Be \"nice\" at first; if they show themselves to be unco-operative, start \"threatening\" them (late-payment interest charges, collection agency, publishing their name on TCR, etc.).

Personally, even if they paid all invoices now, I\'d never work for them again - they defaulted once, they will probably do it again.
Collapse

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alas, Alas Dec 22, 2001

Yes, it should be through a Barcelona Agency for a client (a famous industry of electric domestic appliances).

I am still doubting. I am lacking projects at the moment. What should I do? I will write to the Agency telling that I have thought about it and 90 days is just too much, in a fine way.

Let\'s see...

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What's their standard? Dec 22, 2001

I can\'t tell from your posting if 90 days is their standard or if they\'re 90 days overdue. There are a number of agencies in Italy who pay at 90 days: their reasoning is that they don\'t get paid by their customers, in turn, until 90 days.

It really all depends on you. I have one particular customer (a small agency) who gives me loads and loads of work -- and interesting stuff to boot -- and the standard is 90 days. However, a couple of times when the customers have paid earlier so h
... See more
I can\'t tell from your posting if 90 days is their standard or if they\'re 90 days overdue. There are a number of agencies in Italy who pay at 90 days: their reasoning is that they don\'t get paid by their customers, in turn, until 90 days.

It really all depends on you. I have one particular customer (a small agency) who gives me loads and loads of work -- and interesting stuff to boot -- and the standard is 90 days. However, a couple of times when the customers have paid earlier so has the agency. Once I got paid at 30 and another at about 40, even though their standard is 90. This customer is worth it: interesting work and they always pay. However, I must admit it\'s the ONLY one I\'m this flexible with.

You could contact your customer and say that 90 would be difficult for you and 50-60 would be better... and see what happens. Depends on how interested you are in this customer.
Collapse

Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TCR - what is it? Dec 24, 2001

Hi Werner George Patels:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TCR? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Not acceptable, but not unusual either! Dec 25, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-21 15:56, senesino83 wrote:

Dear Pros,

what about clients that pay after 90 days BUT give continuos projects week after week?

Is this normal? I have been offered a project of this sort and still considering...

Flavio

I think this is wholly unacceptable and as payment 60-90 days after receipt of invoice is not unheard of in... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-21 15:56, senesino83 wrote:

Dear Pros,

Flavio

I think this is wholly unacceptable and as payment 60-90 days after receipt of invoice is not unheard of in France (particularly with agencies), I soon learnt that I could not afford to work with guys who operated this way. This together with incredibly low rates put me off agency work in France.

You do a job in December, deliver it at the end of the month and send your invoice. The agency receives it in the beginning of January and you are paid 60-90 days after the month end in which the bill was received. Thus, for work done in December you end up being paid in the beginning of March or April. Unacceptable. Unaffordable!

Rare are the agencies who operate on a 30 days basis, although quite a few do. 60 days is commonplace. 90 days is not that unusual. If they pay late, imagine just how long you\'re going to have to wait! If you work for them all the time, once the work starts rolling in regularly, you\'re covered, otherwise not. And you have absolutely no guarantee that the work will flow continuously either.

Insist on a much lower time limit for payment. If they can\'t do it, don\'t work for them. You have to work to tight deadlines, I don\'t see why they should benefit from long ones at your expense. OR, ask for 30% upfront and don\'t deliver a single word until you\'ve put the dosh in a safe place.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-27 01:30 ]Collapse

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THanks Nikki Dec 25, 2001

Thanks for your advices Nikki. Sounds like my case... let\'s see what happen now.

Flavio

Local time: 17:58
German to English
+ ...
TCR Dec 25, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-24 23:37, pro wrote:

Hi Werner George Patels:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TCR? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

TCR is a special yahoo group specializing in keeping track of bad payers. You\'ll find the list at groups.yahoo.com/group/TCR

... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-24 23:37, pro wrote:

Hi Werner George Patels:

TCR is a special yahoo group specializing in keeping track of bad payers. You\'ll find the list at groups.yahoo.com/group/TCR

The list has been around for some time and contains considerable information on a large number of agencies. ▲ Collapse

Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
thanks for the info Dec 26, 2001

Hi Werner George:

Thanks for the info. I\'m going to check it out.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Under certain conditions, it is possible Jan 6, 2002

I have a client like this. They always pay without delay. They pay well, and give me a lot of projects. Sometimes, before the beginning of a project, they stipulate that this particular project will be paid for in 45-90 days. They have never paid late. Because they are extremely reliable, I agree to this condition. I agree that if you don\'t trust them you should decline the job, if you feel like you can afford that strategy. In my case, they are asking me to be a little more accomodating, and I... See more
I have a client like this. They always pay without delay. They pay well, and give me a lot of projects. Sometimes, before the beginning of a project, they stipulate that this particular project will be paid for in 45-90 days. They have never paid late. Because they are extremely reliable, I agree to this condition. I agree that if you don\'t trust them you should decline the job, if you feel like you can afford that strategy. In my case, they are asking me to be a little more accomodating, and I feel that it is OK - I\'d rather wait for payment than spoil a good and lucrative relationship.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment after 90 days...

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »