Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
Local time: 09:12
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Nov 2, 2007

Hi to everybody,

Today I received a translation job notification from proz.com for my native language pair so I submit my quote with the sample text that must be translate and this sample text or phrase was exactly the client need to be translate and offerred 5.00 $ for this (one) line. I know that there is a possibility that I can get this because I was the first one who had submitted the quote for this short phrase translation with the minimum rate and as offerred by the client. A
... See more
Hi to everybody,

Today I received a translation job notification from proz.com for my native language pair so I submit my quote with the sample text that must be translate and this sample text or phrase was exactly the client need to be translate and offerred 5.00 $ for this (one) line. I know that there is a possibility that I can get this because I was the first one who had submitted the quote for this short phrase translation with the minimum rate and as offerred by the client. After two hours, the client sent me an email thanking me for the translation and had told me that she will reserve my information for future project. What does it mean? As far as I know if the outsourcer did not reply to your quote, it means that the quote was not accepted and there's no communication at all.

But instead, when I asked her ''what and how about the payment of your posted job?" for the clarification about/for payment (though it's a short line because some client based on my experience they pay even 20.00$ for one line) she replied me ''there are also other translator who had submitted their quote and translation version who offerred for free and she also show me the other translators version for this one phrase, I am aware that there are other translation version and I told it to her that she must not show me the other translation version it's unethical maybe if I am the agency's proofreader or editor, yes she can. It would be better she did not get in touch with me directly via email thanking for the translation, isn't? And why after I asked ''what and how about the payment''. The client start comparing my translation to another one and showing me that she don't have only my translation version. Maybe it would be better if she posted the project as kudoz so each translator of this language pair will give their version and opinions, comment and corrections to each translation version then decide which translation version was the best and also without any expectation for the payment that was being offered for this translation.

After a bunch of question and email explaination that she did not accept my quote and why she get in touch with me via email thanking me etc., she asked me where do I want to send this payment? I just refuse and thank her for her time and gave the back translation of the other translation version she had shown me. Why do we need to arrive at that point? Anybody had the same experienced like mine? What would be my better reaction instead? :- (

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-02 06:44]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:12
English to Russian
+ ...
What job? Nov 2, 2007

Judy, I think you are mixing 2 things.

As far as I understand you willingly did a SAMPLE translation requested as part of the bid. Whether is was or was not an actual job, there have been no agreements regarding any paid assignments. When you send (or do not send) your sample or test at you own will you should not be expecting any payments unless specificaly agreed to otherwise. 5 dollars must have gone to the chosed translator (I wonder how much did the transaction cost...) and th
... See more

As far as I understand you willingly did a SAMPLE translation requested as part of the bid. Whether is was or was not an actual job, there have been no agreements regarding any paid assignments. When you send (or do not send) your sample or test at you own will you should not be expecting any payments unless specificaly agreed to otherwise. 5 dollars must have gone to the chosed translator (I wonder how much did the transaction cost...) and they were courteous enough to inform you that you are in their database from now on. However, they are not obligated to pay 5 bucks to each bidder, first or last. "No communications" is a common practice but not a rule.

Or did I miss something?

Regards,
Irene

[Edited at 2007-11-02 02:43]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 17:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ignore them or do them for free Nov 2, 2007

Hi Judy,

These tiny jobs crop up from time to time and I think they're either best ignored or just done for free as they're really not worth the time and hassle, and they're certainly not worth getting stressed out over. The best you can hope to gain from them is that you offer them your services free of charge as an introduction to the quality of your work even though a one-liner isn't much to go on. At the very least they might remember you for when something more substantial come
... See more
Hi Judy,

These tiny jobs crop up from time to time and I think they're either best ignored or just done for free as they're really not worth the time and hassle, and they're certainly not worth getting stressed out over. The best you can hope to gain from them is that you offer them your services free of charge as an introduction to the quality of your work even though a one-liner isn't much to go on. At the very least they might remember you for when something more substantial comes along.

Mark
Collapse

Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
Local time: 09:12
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sample text and the phrase itself was the job. Nov 2, 2007

IreneN wrote:

As far as I understand you willingly did a SAMPLE translation requested as part of the bid. Whether is was or was not an actual job, there have been no agreements regarding any paid assignments. When you send (or do not send) your sample or test at you own will you should not be expecting any payments unless specificaly agreed to otherwise. 5 dollars must have gone to the chosed translator (I wonder how much did the transaction cost...) and they were courteous enough to inform you that you are in their database from now on. However, they are not obligated to pay 5 bucks to each bidder, first or last. "No communications" is a common practice but not a rule.

Or did I miss something?

Regards,
Irene

[Edited at 2007-11-02 02:43]

Hi IreneN,

The sample text that the client ask to translate with the quote was exactly the phrase she need to be translate and offers 5 bucks, then she send me an email thanking me the translation. Usually if the outsourcer did not accept they don't get in touch and if they really want to give a project they go directly to you via email or phone call, so what for sending me an email thanking of this translation version? and the unethical thing she did was she had shown me the other translation version to prove that my quote is not the only one she had and not means that she accept it, but she must not show it it's confidential though a short phrase. Maybe it would be better if she had posted this job as a kudoz so she can select the better version after each translators gave there versions, comment and corrections, since she want it for free and the best translation.

Mark was right those job like this is better to ignore or do for free, actually I gave her also the back translation of each version she had shown me. It depend to her if she want to hire for a proofreader (lol).

Judy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle a one-line job where the sample represents the full assignment

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »