Thread poster: Crystal Samples

Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:34
French to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I just did my first transcription job, but I'm not sure what to charge. I know I should have agreed to the terms beforehand, but it was a rush thing, and I accepted it mostly just to see if I could do it. It was a song in 'Cajun' French, and upon the first few listens, I could only make out a line or two. However, after several listens, slowing down the audio a good bit, and enlisting the help of a francophone friend, we came up with the lyrics.

The audio was only 21 seconds long and the type-up was 59 words, but it took a bit of work on both our parts.

I want to charge $30, and give half to my friend, but is this too much for just 21 seconds?

Normally, I would probably charge $15 or $20, but the "French" took quite a bit of deciphering.

I appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks in advance,

Crystal Samples

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Nov 2, 2007

...this is not an average translation.
You had to do it "by ear" (no written suport). And... a "rare" language.
How long did you and your friend invested in it?
Bill according to that.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Time Nov 2, 2007

With transcription work you can never tell how much time it will take. Just charge for the time you and your friend put into it. The fact that it was only 21 seconds and 59 words has nothing to do with it.

Of course, you should always make sure the client understands that before you start.

patyjs  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Minimum charge... Nov 2, 2007

This is where having a minimum charge comes in handy. As Henry says, you really can't tell with transcriptions even though you may know beforehand how many minutes the recording is.

I just found this out by experience. I'm just finishing up a transcription where I've had babies crying into the microphone and the interviewee just keeps right on talking. And then another part which is full of place names which are hard to hear and have to be looked up etc.. Not easy when only have a (sometimes muffled) pronunciation to go on. Well, you get the idea.

Since you hadn't discussed payment before, I think you could probably get away with $30 as your minimum charge, and then quote it on future jobs.

Good luck!

P.S. Interesting job though!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for "Cajun" transcription

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs