Quote for the job
Thread poster: Vladimir Baranich
Vladimir Baranich
Vladimir Baranich  Identity Verified
Russian
+ ...
Nov 11, 2007

Could you explain what is that:

"In the first step we need a fixed quote for the job... check the amount of words to translate. We need a fixed quote for this work".

Is that only about word count or shall I do something else, like stating my rates and the final cost?

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:45
English to German
+ ...
I think... Nov 11, 2007

... that they want you to take your rate, multiply it with the word count and guarantee that you'll be doing the job for this price.

Sonja

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Final figure Nov 11, 2007

What they want you to do is to examine the source file (which they probably provided you) and come up with a word count (which you don't need to provide them). Then they want you to say something like, "My final price for this job will be $X." Assuming they tell you to go ahead, that is the amount you will bill at the end of the job.

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It usually means... Nov 11, 2007

...that they want a per source word rate, rather than a per target word rate.

Narcis.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 23:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Why don't you just ask them what it is they mean? Nov 12, 2007

Saves you a lot of potential aggravation in the future.

Vladimir Baranich
Vladimir Baranich  Identity Verified
Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great insight... Nov 12, 2007

...The Misha, I would do so but it was not possible that time to ask them, also I met this term in some other places. So I'd like to know my colleagues' experience. Isn't that all about this forum - to share thoughts?

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fixed quote Nov 12, 2007

They're asking for a fixed quote. That is, one amount for which you will do the job. They ask you to check the wordcount yourself, so you will know what to charge. But they're not interested in that, they want a 'fixed quote', that is one number: what you are going to charge.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quote for the job

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »