widati utami
widati utami  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:12
Japanese to Indonesian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2007

Dear fellow translators,

When you do Japanese to English/Indonesian/other language translation job, do you charge the client per character or per certain number of character (example: per 1000 Japanese character)? Or do you charge per target word?

Thanks so much for the response.

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:12
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
All of the above Nov 14, 2007

Hi Widati,

I do all three, because every client prefers it differently, and as long as the rate itself is ok, I don't really mind. I've got the impression though that "rate per 1000 characters" is preferred in Japan, for whatever reason, while I've never encountered it in Europe. German agencies seem to prefer to count the lines of the target text.

Best wishes,
Nadja

tonymacg
tonymacg  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
By target word normally Nov 19, 2007

I don't like to charge by kana count because the outcome can be so variable. A page of organic chemcal names would be fine, but pages of gun, cho and mura names (as I had recently) was dreadful.

I charge my local clients by the hundred English words, which is the standard unit in Australia. I have one favoured client in Japan whom I charge by kana count - at their request - but I don't do it for anyone else.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for Japanese translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »